Marinne's Reef

Looks awesome. But holy crap. Is that a AI lighting up your sump lol!?!

I really like the rockwork. Some nice places for coral placement, as well as plenty of open room for fish to swim around. :)

it is, I bought all my Sols used...the one over the sump is a thrown together AI SOL White that someone was selling for $135

yeah it's overkill but it's growing that chaeto like crazy

Wouldn't surprise me @Aquarian . However, it's usually the phillipines that you hear about cyanide poisoning from.
Actually, Sri Lanka is the WORST for cyanide at the moment. I test ordered a box from the Philippines and everything came in great. In the last 5 or so years they've REALLY cleaned up their act. Now if we could get the rest to do the same, we'd be in business.

Marinne, if you can get them cheap, I say go for it. I've cobbled together a light that seems to be doing well on the wife fuge.. Sorry for the detour in your thread.

it's fine...however the orange shoulder tang I got in now has ich, my guess is I will lose everything, but that's my fault

they are still eating but spots now showing on the Kole and Yellow tang...none on the wrasse, clowns or angel

If I do end up losing all the fish then I will probably only put easy fish in my 180, it sucks but I hate dealing with illness and just don't have the patience for a QT tank

I also added a Torch coral 2 days ago and it's dying as well...now I also have white stringy crap all over my chaeto and rocks in the tank

perfect

If you have some sort of carbon and aren't running it, try running it for a few days and see what happens. Stress spots come and go and the others in the tank will get it too. Just make sure they're getting plenty of greens. When I bought the Purple tang that everyone said would be dead by the end of the weekend LOVED blanched spinach. Just take a few leaves and dip them into boiling water for about 10 seconds max. What it does is break down the cellulose and allow them to get the nutrients out of it. And old skool doctor taught me that trick for herbivores.

I am running 2 large bags of Chemi Pure Blue...they are only 3 days old

I have been feeding 3 different types of algae, Red Green and Brown every day...I also have been feeding Rods Herbivore soaked in Garlic and Bioviv

my water is super cloudy for some reason now, not sure if it's the wrasse of something else

here are the water parameters:

Salinity:1.026
Temp: 79.7
PH: 7.95-8.02
Alk: 9.8
Cal: 410
Mag: 1300
Nitrates: under 2ppm

I am NOT a fan of high salinity unless your tank's inhabitants are from the Red Sea. Mine are 1.023-1.025 and 1.025 is high for me. Every time I try running them high I have issues.

I've always kept my tanks at 1.023-1.025, the few times I screwed up and it went higher it made the corals unhappy. . If your salinity is working for you, go with what's working. If it's not, it's time for a change, but a very slow change over a few days. When I receive a shipment, the salinity is 1.020-1.021 and I raise it over the period of 4 days to my normal range. For those that use ppt, I keep mine at 32-33 ppt.

Bacteria Bloom then? Got any pics of the cloudy water? Also, what size sand did you put down? I noticed that my cube was hazy for a while too until the finer sand got pulled down into the sump.

Here is a picture...I am using original grade LS from Bulk Reef

I also smashed the crap out of my toe yesterday, not a good week lol

Attachments

• 20140927_115753.jpg
    20140927_115753.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 278
  • 20140926_094732.jpg
    20140926_094732.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 280
Rob your pic didn't show...oh and my salinity is 1.025, recalibrated my refractometer last night and it was a about .0075 high

I did that with a piece of steel. I had just taken my steel toed shoes off and saw a piece of steel sitting in the rack and I didn't like the way it was sitting there. I moved it and it fell out of the rack onto my foot. What that picture doesn't show is it exploded out from under the nail. My shoe looked like someone sacrificed a goat in it, lol.

Back