Mars Aqua 12 LED light: IMPORTANT UPDATE

LymanBay

Reefing newb
Hi,

I have some important information regarding the MARS AQUA light (link below):

This light has a huge design flaw; it does NOT function with a TIMER.

As reef keepers, we rely on automation as consistency in lighting is as important as it is in water quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15169969040...49&var=450901883385&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

When I connected the light to my timer, it turned off at the set time on the timer. But the next day, the light never came back on; I had to press the power button on the light's remote. Since the light is IR controlled, there isn't a mechanical switch. Without a mechanical switch, the light will not turn on when the timer tells it to do so... it still requires a button press on the remote, even after the power comes on.

Heads up.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very useful to know - you'd think that something like that would be obvious to buyers, so hopefully if anyone is thinking of getting one they will see your post first :thumbsup:

That's very useful to know - you'd think that something like that would be obvious to buyers, so hopefully if anyone is thinking of getting one they will see your post first :thumbsup:

This was obvious to me. It should be obvious to the people designing the light for "reef" use.

The light isn't bad for the money. As accent lighting which you turn on and off as needed, this light is fine. But that you can not automate its function is a disqualifying detail in my view.

Something else that is important to know....

I have been operating the light manually until the new one I purchased from Dr. Foster & Smith arrives. The light's intensity leaves something to be desired. Many of my coral frags didn't open when the light came on until I moved them higher in the tank. There is one coral frag that has refused to open at all since I put the new light on the tank as well.

While this fixture lights the tank and gives the appearance of a reef tank with high quality lighting, it isn't.

Back