MARS Frag Swap was today!

hotimportknight

New! Big Tank Club!
Today me and a friend drove down to Madison to the Madison area reef societies frag swap. Man they had a pretty good turn out, I think by the raffle tickets around 160 people attended, as well as a good deal of people with frags for sale or trade. I picked up a few cool things, the prices were great and the people were nice!
I will start with my favorite first, well its close between this ricordia and the sweet deal I got on a nice branching hammer. I picked up this pink ricordia for 20$ (the picture doesnt begin to do it justice, the colors are gorgeous)
Aquarium427.jpg

I came across a guy with a branching hammer or frogspawn (it doesnt look the same as my other frog spawn) with 6-7+ heads on it for 30$, really nice bright green colors and all.
Aquarium426.jpg

The guy I got the hammer from had these little frags of something BRIGHT neon green that caught my attention as well, he had 15-25 on them, and he threw one in for 10$, its called endive hydnophora? it was a bright neon green color but doesnt look as extremely bright under my T5's for some reason.
Aquarium423.jpg

The last thing I got was a nice big piece of green birds nest, really cool looking stuff, got the fist size of bigger piece for 20$
Aquarium424.jpg

Overall good experience, thought I got some really good deals, got some free fish food, frag plugs, Kent water clarifier, and some other misc. stuff. Let me know what you guys think!

Omg i love my ricordea, my actinics are on right now and from 10 feet away you can see it, it looks like its glowing! How fast do ricordeas spread usually? I hope somewhat fast, they are a mushroom arent they?

Aquarium429.jpg

When you get your stuff to grow out let me know. We could trade some stuff. If you join MARS keep an eye out for the summer BBQ. This past summer everyone got a free door prize.

Alright cool, its kinda a long drive to madison for us from Marshfield, but i was thinking about the northern wisconsin reef society that meets at fosters and smith every 3rd wednesday of the month, thats only about an hour and a half, madison is at least 2 1/2. Seeing as how I go to fosters and smith 2-3 times a month anyway out of boredom I might as well check it out, I guess they meet in the aquaculture facility, so that would be cool. Otherwise were going to be at the fosters and smith frag swap for sure, possibly get a hotel room and set up a small tank in there for me and some friends to keep stuff in over the course of the 2 days. If anyone else is going to be there in Late june let me know, it should be a blast. From what I hear they give away tanks and all kinds of nice stuff...

Ricordeas take A LONG time to spread. I have one that started splitting four or five months ago... And STILL hasn't split all the way! Yours actually looks like it is beginning to split. Congrats. They are just super slow growers.

Don't let that hydnophora touch anything else, they have one of the most potent stings of all corals. Really good buys, and amazing prices, congrats.

Alright, will do, got that neon green hydnophora up in its own location nothing really near it, does i get any sweepers at all? With that birds nest, does it really grow as fast as a lot of people were saying it does? Cause my friend wants a frag now, its a pretty cool looking SPS especially if it grows fast... Wish I would have stayed around for the fragging demo at the swap, but i was super hungry and had another hour before it started so we took off...

After the demo they just gave everything away. One of my friends got a lot of green birds nest. MY WIFE DIDN'T WANT TO STAY THAT LONG. Oh frag swap 4.5 planning for summer now.

Back