Massive Fish Kill

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
There was an article in today's New York Times about the massive die-off of tropical fish in Florida because of the cold down there. I didn't know that they breed fresh-water tropical fish in huge outdoor ponds down there. Half of all fresh water aquarium fish come from Florida and most of the other half come from Asia. They've had 95% die-offs. Pretty bad. Apparently 48F was all the fish could stand before they started dying.

Its cold down here my man. Below freezing for the 7 past days which is a record. Turtles are being rescued left and right. Snook are belly up all over the place. And massive amounts of cash is going to be lost for the orange and strawberry farmers.

how're the MANATEES doing?! theres been nada about them on the news D: they are like, my most FAVORITE sea creature EVER (even over sharks!!!).

i don't gotta worry about oranges, i hate em... and our backyard is FULL of them... anyone wants em you can come get 'em!

it is sad tho :( poor fishies and farmers....

They are doing ok I beleive. They head to the sprrings and power plants every year and don't wait for the big freeze to come before they start moving.

Good thing most of us aren't buying freshwater fish, the prices might explode soon!

:cold: And it's freezing down here! I need to move to the keys.

I am in favor of global warming!

Me too. Global cooling is much more damaging to crops and wild life than is warming. Think of the warm places on earth; they are jungles lush with life (so long as they get rain). Now think of the cold places; they are frozen and mostly lifeless.

If I was a bettin man,I'd say that within the next few months that tropical freshwater fish will cost more than our salty friends.

Good thing most of us aren't buying freshwater fish, the prices might explode soon!

oh no. The price for a neon tetra might go to $1.99 instead of .75. I remember my days when I had a couple freshwater tanks. Some basic with tetras, rainbow sharks, clown loach and one tank with cichlids. Man those were some cheap tanks compared to this stuff.

oh no. The price for a neon tetra might go to $1.99 instead of .75. I remember my days when I had a couple freshwater tanks. Some basic with tetras, rainbow sharks, clown loach and one tank with cichlids. Man those were some cheap tanks compared to this stuff.

Lol neons are exactly 1.99 right now man, at least at Petco.
You're behind the times.

If I was a bettin man,I'd say that within the next few months that tropical freshwater fish will cost more than our salty friends.

from what my local news said the fish farmers have very little room to raise their price because fish can be imported for a almost the same price.:frustrat: Who knows though:question:

so, uhm... global warming is kinda a misnomer, fyi. It would be better to call it "global climate change" or something... 'cause the reason you see such low temps in normally warmer environments is, theoretically, because of global warming...

just sayin'.

Tanked is right -- global warming will cause extreme temperatures at either end of the range. In the scientific community it is referred to as "global climate change" for this reason -- it's not only a change in warming, but in cooling, precipitation patterns, growth patterns, ocean and wind current patterns, etc.

well I live in cape coral and ive had frost on my truck every day this week. if I move ant futher south i'll be in cuba...

Back