Mated Clowns

GassyMon

Wazzuuup
How can I tell if my Ocellaris Clownfish are mated? I have had 1 in my tank alone for about a year (3 - 3.5 inches) and I just added another clownfish (2.5 - 3 inches). The first day I got the new guy the dominate (one I've had in the tank longer) would swim up to him/her and back the new guy into the bottom corner of the tank. The more dominate one became less aggrasive over the next 5 hours and they slept together in the same corner of the tank (touching eachother the whole time):Cheers:(HaHa) Then next 2 days after that they have stayed somewhat away from eachother (50% of time). Today I have seen the dominate one swims up to the new guy and have like a
?contagous seaser? What does it mean? Could there behavior be leading to mated clowns?

If they are mated the female will lay eggs. No eggs = no mated pair. If they hang out together, they have just paired up. The seizuring behavior is common between clowns that are pairing up.

+1 Biff
Even when clowns are paired,it can take a several months for them to actually mate.IF they ever do.

Mine were paired for 4 1/2 years before they started mating for the first time. They were probably holding out for someone better looking, but eventually must have just said, "the hell with it, let's get this over with already!" :lol:

Then Biff rearranged the rocks or something and they stopped laying eggs for a couple of months Hehehe....so keep that in mind when they DO start mating -- do not rearrange things.

First I upgraded my lights. That made them stop laying eggs. Then a few months later, they started laying again. But then I got a bunch of corals so I had to rearrange my rocks, and then they stopped laying eggs again. They are really sensitive to change!

Back