Materials for sump

slm32123

Reefing newb
Hey guys, i am going to build a sump out of my 20 gallon long tank that i have. currently my gecko is in it but i have another tank i cant put her into.

I was wondering what i should use to make the baffles out of. right now i have sheets of 1/4 in. lexan available to me for free. would these work for making the sump?

Yep, that's what most people use. You'll just need to make sure to use alot of silicone because it doesn't stick to plastic like it does to glass

ok, yeah that is what i was worried about.

my next question is where is the best place to get silicone? home depot? and what type of silicone is needed

Home depot will probably be your cheapest option. Make sure to get type I silicone, it's the one without mold resistant additives. It comes in clear, black or white

I will probably be going to home depot. how many bottles do you guys think i will need? i also have to reseal my tank, its a 75g

I used 1.5 bottles when I did my 20L sump ( I had to silicone 4 baffles). I'm not sure how much you'd need for the 75g though

When getting your silicone the important thing to remember is to ensure it is 100% silicone. No additives. Many will also say they are aquarium safe as well.

Just go to your LFS and buy the silicone. Don't risk killing your tank. Others have said that they've found aquarium safe silicone at HD or Lowe's. I never have. Some people on the forum even know the specific type you need. I've just never found it.

Any 100% silicone that doesn't contain any anti-mildew or anti-mold agents is aquarium safe. There's no need to pay five times as much at the fish store for the exact same product they sell at the hardware store.

There are at least 5 or 6 brands that are safe to use that are sold at Home Depot or Lowe's. GE I comes to mind. GE II is the kind that contains anti-mold and anti-mildew stuff -- so stay away from that. Generally, the kind made for "bathrooms" is what you want to avoid. I've always just used the generic, cheapest brand in the store.

i agree with prc, not much more money and made for aquarium use, i went with glass baffles theres a glass shop down the street that cut the pieces i needed for pretty cheap 7.50 a baffle i believe.

yeah, i dont know where any glass shops are around my area though, and the 1/4 in lexan is free to me. My dad was thinking that maybe if i rough up the lexan about a quarter inch in it would be easier for the silicone to bond with it.

yeah, i dont know where any glass shops are around my area though, and the 1/4 in lexan is free to me. My dad was thinking that maybe if i rough up the lexan about a quarter inch in it would be easier for the silicone to bond with it.

you got an ace hardware by you? they cut glass, but if the lexan if free, cant beat that.

I do have an ACE nearby, but I will be using the lexan and cutting it myself seeing as how its totally free that way

my lexan was just a lil bit to wide on the sides to fit in the sump but a belt sander helped me fix that :P

Home Depot has this stuff: usually same place as super-glues are at. I used this in my sump, works good:

6924146.jpg

Mine was teal instead of blue, but same thing.

Back