Matty's 90g

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
Well, it only took 3 months to become fully addicted to reefing and upgrading the tank. Found this 90g on CL for $500 coming with almost everything needed to start. Moving it was pretty fun. Started at 5:30(worst mistake) and didn't finish until 130ish. Def worth it to have it at it's new home. Here are some pics of me filling it up with water and the end.
IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

I've placed a order from bigalspets for 2 more hydor 1400 powerheads maxi jet 1200 for the skimmer, and 300w jager heater, and a couple of thermometer, and a new test kit since I was getting everything else and who knows how old the other one was. Hopefully everything settles in the next week and I can get my CUC and first big fish. Thanks Matthew

Thats a lot of rock. Good buy! Make sure its all secure and sitting on the bottom. Id hate for it to collapse.

Oh believe me they shouldn't be moving(knock on wood). Build them straight on the bottom and then put the sand in so they are told on the bottom. Now I've got to turkey bast the sand off the rocks. Another reefer on a local forum gave me a hydor 3 yesterday giving me a total of 2 1400, 850, & 750 plus the return pump which is a rio 2500. So, thinking of using the 750 for mixing salt with. Goals today is change the return pump plumbing when I do a water change to lower my nitrites(160) and hopefully only need a few more of those before I get my CUC. Can't wait.

Hooray! Another 90 to watch! I think there are several of us 90s on here now............Tank's looking good so far!

Thanks every1. Now we're playing the waiting game b/c of the nitrate are a lot high.
4eee7936.jpg

How often do I change the water to be efficient to get the nitrate back down. Every other day or just weekly?
Samhain I've seen quite a few 90g pop up lately and you def. got a super steal on your set-up. Love the color of your Midas Blenny he's got an awesome color to him.

If the ammonia is 0, and the nitrite is zero then the tank is cycled. You prlly knew that already but wasn't sure. Then you go abot doing regular waterchanges to keep the nitrates down. I do 15-20% a week. But my tanks are smaller.

I would do larger water changes at least one week until the nitrates are at an acceptable level. While they are that high, dont add in inverts and dont buy any more fish. You might have a long battle ahead of you because, if I remember correctly, you bought the tank used and the rocks might have adsorbed lots of nitrates/phosphates that they will release over time.

Yes, bought used so the sand got all stirred up when moving it. The only fish it came with was a clown which is in the biocube now. It seems to be doing good with the b&w clown pair. Well, guess 15g is going to double next week. Thanks

Well, checked the water again praying it would magically come down and got nothing. But on the brighter note got my package today now where would be a good spot to put the two 1400? I was thinking one on each side pointing at each other and have the 850 pointing up towards the top. What would other recommend.
3e4097db.jpg

Any1 ever used these? Any good?
cd9fb2dc.jpg

***Update****
Nothing really changed over the week. My nitrates are still high. Went and got 55g a bag of salt and doing a change here in the next hour. Figured I'd get the rocks epoxied together to prevent a rock fall when i get the nitrates down. Rocks are coming along good tho pics to come after the water change.
e7cc9d1a.jpg

Well, after finishing the water change the nitrates came down quite a bit. Plus, epoxied the rocks together so hopefully no rock slides for me. (knock on wood) Here are some pictures nothing fancy.
86fca7ff.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

Rocks in the tank are looking good.
IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Thanks every1. Decided to get the clown fish that came with the tank in his home and out of the BioCube with the b&w pair. Figured I had to put something in there to keep the bioload going. A lfs had some rocks with mushroom for sale for $22. Is that a good price pic below. So far everything is going good.
Here's a rock with a mushroom I'm thinking about getting to get some color.
3058b59a.jpg

And another rock I was thinking about getting.
6696f000.jpg

***UPDATE***
Well, went to the lfs a couple of weeks ago to look for a new fish and they got some flame cardinals in that were pretty cool. And still had the kole tang. After debating on which one to get. the manager gave me a awesome deal. He took $10 off the tang and another $10 off the cardinals. So, basically got the cardinal free. I went ahead and did another 20 gallon water change and got 30 snails to start going at the algae to get rid of it. So, far after two weeks everything is looking great. The snails have ate most of the algae. Moved some of the frogspawn over and they appear to like the new tank a lot better got most of them to open up. here are some pictures
Kole Tang
IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Flame Cardinals
IMG_0066.jpg

Small One
IMG_0104.jpg

Big One
IMG_0107.jpg

Here's a video

Back