Maxi mini help

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I have moved over all contents on my 29g to the 93g EXCEPT my maxi mini anemone. Of course he has his foot buried in the deepest crevice that ever existed. The power heads have been blasting him for three days now and he doesn't mind it one bit. This anemone has been parked in this rock for over a year now. The foot is so deep it's unreachable and the rock is not porous so I can't even get to it from another angle. I hung the rock up side down yesterday for around 40 mins and let the nem hang there until he would let go...yea he didn't come off. I'm at my witts end with the anemone! I would just place the whole rock in the big tank but the rock is huge and I don't have room in the 93g for it. Any advice? I can't use a credit card, can use the ice cube bc of being unable to reach foot, and he likes the powerheads...I'm stuck here

This pic is of him hanging over the tank. After a while I hanging over a bucket I got worried about him being out I water for too long so I placed him like this above the tank.
5a8e65b5.jpg

Woah! haha, that pic is funny.

I understand your frustration though. Nems can be so stubborn!!!
I wish I had a good suggestion for you. :( Seems like you've exhausted the usual options.

Hey, what about taking the rock outside real quick (nem will be fine) and bashing it with a sledge hammer to break it into smaller chunks?

Can you split the rock without hurting it? Not sure how porous that rock is. With the stuff i have busted up usually 1 good hit with a screwdriver and hammer does the trick. Maybe you could bust around it so its only attached to a smaller piece that you could put in the tank. Just spit balling here. I have no experience with anemones though sorry. But i wish you luck Britt. Or if you cant reach the foot with an ice cube, could you maybe pour cold water down to its foot?

Try a butter knife. Gently press the flat side against the foot (if you can reach down to it with the knife). Generally, they don't like the feel of the metal and will let go.

Thanks for the advice guys. This nem is a very stubborn one! Lol my last option would be to smash up the rock but I'm just so scared to do it. I'm afraid it will break the wrong way and tear the foot. But it seems like its my only option not being able to reach the foot and it bein so darn stubborn.

Make sure you wear goggles or something just in case lol. I can only imagine maxi mini in the eyes cannot be good.

Ok, I got it. Take the rock up on your roof and dangle it over the edge.

Scenario 1: Mini Maxi scared rockless. Pick up and throw in new tank.

Scenario 2: Abort Scenario 1 after 60 seconds and drop rock. Watch explode on ground below. Look for Mini Maxi several yards away, hopefully still in one piece. Pick up rest of rubble and use for mounting frags. :mrgreen:

Can you temporarily put the large rock in your new tank under the lights? I'm thinking the bright lights will upset the nem and cause it to move, then as soon as it detaches its foot to move you could take it off the rock and take the big rock out. OR, if possible can you move your kessil light temporarily over your 29g? Again, I think the change in light will cause it to move.

I've been able to move a couple stubborn nems with an ice cube in a plastic sandwich bag. I'd touch them for a few seconds as close to the foot as I could and they didnt like it much but let go.

I myself wouldn't be able to get that rock in the 93g. It's just too heavy and akwardly positioned for me to do it. I'd have to place it smack dab in the center of the tank and then take it out again. But you are prob. Right about the kessil making the nem move.

Doesn't the kessil just hang from its hanger over the tank? If so, can you temporarily move the kessil to hang over your 29 for a few hours? Perhaps after lights out on your big tank so that you don't disrupt the cycle there?

Then I guess you could try it as a second to last resort (the last resort being to smash up the rock) if you can't figure something else out.

Back