Max's 125g -First Saltwater Tank

Max125g

Reefing newb
Was told to move my thread to here from the newbie section.

Here is the previous thread
https://www.livingreefs.com/first-saltwater-tank-t27323.html

So was my first day back from Vacation and the first opportunity i had to work on the tank. Decided to jump right in.

Put the glass outside for the time being. Bought some cerium oxide and some felt bobs so when that arrives ill start working on the scratches. Last Night's project was all about that stand.

Took EVERYTHING apart and i am in the process of soaking all the tubes, pipes, and boxes. Tested the WAKI pump in the bathtub and boy did that make a mess, that thing is powerful. Below is the majority of the plumbing (all overflow boxes and wet/dry are soaking)
IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

After i rinsed everything (still soaking) started sanding the base. Gave it a good once, twice over and brought it outside for some stain. (not a easy task moving it with just 2 people, thankfully i have some nice friends who decided to help)

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

It has a nice initial coat (and we gave it a light second coat a few hours later). I wanted to go with a nice dark red wood to match my kitchen and i think its looking nice so far. Going to give it some touch ups tonight.

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

and for those of you who didnt want to go to the old post to see how ugly the stand was previously.... here it is
IMG_0147.jpg

Good stuff, great to see that we will have a new tank up and running soon :D

nice color to paint it as well.

but i hope you know how to put all those pipes back together! ;) haha

Thanks for the positive feedback.

@Biffer-that was just for you. Its a rare hair paintbrush that they sell at this new shop called Home Depot. They told me it was one of a kind so i had to buy it and show it off :) hehe, jk

@Josh-i was thinking the same thing after i took everything apart "oh now, how does it all go back together". But i'll figure it out.

i do have some questions about the refugium. How can i get it to connect from the wet/dry box--->Refugium-->Pump. Any suggestions. It seems if i add the refugium i will lose all the pressure from the pump and it won't be able to flow properly.

Round 2 of staining tonight + Clear coat.
Tomorrow molding
Then its plumbing/tank scratches.

Hopefully ill start diving next weekend and start my sand harvesting :)

look'n good man, keep up the good work! i did have a question, the long 1-1/2 pvc with the holes drilled every 6 inches, is that a return spraybar? like it goes along the top back of the tank kinda thing?

look'n good man, keep up the good work! i did have a question, the long 1-1/2 pvc with the holes drilled every 6 inches, is that a return spraybar? like it goes along the top back of the tank kinda thing?

I'm going to be tossing that in the trash. I think you had it right as to what it was previously used for but it's got dump written all over it.

anybody know a good spot to buy HOB Overflow kits online? One of my is a dark color and does not match anything.

Do you have space to add a separate refugium? Like a 5 gallon bucket or rubbermade tub from that new store you mentioned, Home Depot? Or does the refugium have to be part of the existing wet/dry?

There is a LOT of space under. Its a 6' tank so roughly 72" of space under. I think the wett/dry takes up like 12-18" leaving me with a LOT. The pump was mounted in the middle but i took it out and can mount anywhere.

I was planning on at least a 10g refugium but i just don't know how to get the water to flow from the overflow, which has a hole in the bottom side of it (which used to lead directly into the pump).

I was told not to use 2 pumps in case one quits on you-you have one hell of a problem plus the cost of buying another pump.

Any suggestions.

This is cheap and easy. Just like some people's moms. :) Go buy a rubbermade tub that will fit in the area. Like a square or round plastic tub. That will be your fuge. Place the tub on something (bricks, cinderblocks) to raise it slightly higher than the wet/dry. Put a hole in the side of the tub near the top (using a hole saw drill bit), and silicone in some PVC so that the tub drains out the side. Buy a cheap MaxiJet powerhead (around $20) and some vinyl tubing and put the MaxiJet in the wet/dry. The end of the vinyl tubing goes in your rubbermade tub/fuge. The MaxiJet pumps water from the wet/dry to the fuge. Since the fuge is slightly higher than the wet/dry, it drains out the hole in the side back into the wet/dry.

I'll post pics when I get home.

Hmm that does sound cheap and easy.. Much like..... :)

Is there any "sizing chart" as to how big your fuge should be for XXX gallon tank? or roughly how big should the fuge be for my 125g?

Thanks for the tips Biffer!

the depth of the fuge will be determined by where you drill the drain hole in the side of the container.... it will allways stay at this level so long as the system is running....

personally, as for sizing, i say the bigger the better. period. its a great part of the system's filtration, so more is better... i mean as long as you can keep water moving in it... not too fast, but some movement... a 5 gallon bucket is great, some of thoes 40qt containers are ok, like the blue and clear ones at walmart, just be carefull on some of thoes, they tend to bow out the sides when you get them full of water.... personally, my fuge is a 17 gallon feed traugh i got from tractor supply, its perfect, and u can even get real bulkheads there so theres none of this siliconing pvc to stuff, just a good ole mechanical screw tightened rubber gasket seal to the container...

Congrats,the stand looks much better after the finish.I'm not to crazy about the small doors.Are you still able to get inside and work?

You will want to make a fuge as big as you can to fit in the space.The drain tube is going to be near the top of the fuge,generally an inch or two from the top of the tub.That will be where the water line going to be.I would at least try to get a bucket 12'' deep or more.

yea, the doors are a bit on the small side, bit i can still manage to do what i need to inside.

Literally just got finished with the stain and Thompson's water sealed the inside of the stand. Need to put the finishing on at some point and then I'll let that sucker dry out on the patio for a good 2 days.

So it seems that most people don't bother using a 2nd "tank", but rather any container that gets the job done. Just thinking out loud here, maybe i could find a very large water pail, like the ones u used (or used to use) to water your garden. If i can get one 10-20g (if they make them) where the spout is below the pail's lid, it would be perfect and not require any additional tubing at all. The search is on for the perfect container!

Also, aside from the added filter bonus, i have read that the fuge serves as a breeding ground for various pods. Would this system work as a means to produce pods and have them be able to "flow" through so my fish can enjoy a tasty snack occasionally? Or due to the smaller pump they generally wont make it through?

as always, thanks for the great tips and positive feedback! (im also open to any constructive criticism ya know....)

I didn't think the cabinet looked bad...I like the whitewashed look..But the paint or stain that you're putting on it looks alot better. Nice job. Can't wait to see some fish swimming in it.

Back