Maybe an aggression problem in my tank??

brandon17617

Reefing newb
I have a 55 gallon tank that is just getting started and I went to my LFS and bought a Dwarf Flame Angelfish and two goby bottom feeding fish. I asked the people at the pet store if this would be fine and they said there would be absolutely no problem... But I am kind of wondering if maybe the Angelfish is bullying or intimidating the gobys because I have only seen them a couple of times since I got them a few days ago. The angelfish seems to be swimming around the tank just fine. I also have a crab of some sort in there.... not sure what it is, it came for free with my live rock.

It's very possible he's bullying them. You can try rearranging the rocks, or putting up a mirror to throw him off.

And how long have you had your tank set up? Hopefully it already cycled, and you did not add all those fish all at once. Just watch your parameters :)

What types of gobies were they? Some gobies make burrows and you may never see them if they make it behind one of your rocks.

I believe they are orange spotted gobies... I did add all of them at once per my LFS... they said it would be fine... but im not so sure anymore... I moved the rocks and one of the gobie fish was underneath of the rock. He moves to another rock pretty quickly. I believe my tank has completed its first bacteria cycle. Or is in the middle of doing it.

Hopefully they're not bullying each other. Gobies of same species usually will not get along, unless they are male and female. Nothing is 100% with compatibility.

I recently combined my two tanks and my diamond gobies had to share homes until I could find a suitable home for the other one. The smaller one stayed hidden in his borrow and only popped out to eat when I moved the elder one he came out because he now had the run of the tank. First thing he did was fill the holes left by the "old man" and build his own it was cool to watch him make this tank his……:twocents:

hmm i think you've got a few problems going on...

first if you're not 100% sure you've finished your cycle then you NEED to take those fish back ASAP. Cycles are really dangerous to have fish in and not to mention not healthy for them....

How long has the tank been setup? What are all your levels at? If you need a test kit they sell them at LFS OR the LFS will test your water for FREE. Until you are done with the cycle completely i'd advise against fish... :)

Also, that angel is going to be aggressive to any fish you add in from this point... typically angels are the VERY last fish you add into the tank so they don't cause bullying... I would at least take him back for sure... you may have some aggressive between your gobies as well and one will probably always chase the other into hiding-which is no way to live..

As hard as it is, i would take all of them back, have your water tested, and start with a more peaceful fish :) that way the fish are healthy and you know exactly where you're at in your cycle... i'd also invest in some liquid test kits- they are pretty much a must have for any aquarium :)

Back