Md

andersoned14

Reefing newb
I got a green mandrine about 2 weeks ago and it seems to be fine so far. In the last two days it has seemed to be out a lot more. I enjoy this more because I can see it now but does this mean it is not finding enough to eat?? Let me know what you think.

Once they get comfortable in the tank, and around you you'll see him more and more. My mandarin is always hanging out in the front corner of my tank now (unless he's looking for food). How was your pod population before putting the mandarin in? Is it eating frozen food at all? In my tank, I had a huge pod population before I put the mandarin in but, I still add a bottle of pods every once in a while just to be safe.

How was your pod population before putting the mandarin in?
not real good, but I bought a 1000 pods with the fish and added those the same day as the fish.
Is it eating frozen food at all?
not that I have seen, so I would say no
still add a bottle of pods every once in a while just to be safe.
I have been sucking them out of my other fuge twice a week to try and keep up with the food supply. One day last week I turn the lights back on to take one last look before bed and the pods were all over, but I never see them with the MH on.

So far the fish looks healthy, so I hope it is getting enough to eat.

If you can see pods all over then you're good. You generally won't see the pods during the day. In my 75, when the moonlights are on I see 100s & 100s of pods all over the sand and never see any during the day.

When I add pods, I always add about 1/2 to the refug and 1/2 to the DT. But, you should add them at night to give the pods a chance to make it to the rocks before the fish can just decimate them.

My mandarian eats frozen brine and mysis....if i wait a few days before feeding him , he comes directly to the eye dropper to get food. Goodluck!

Well at the LFS they were feeding it frozen mysis and brine by just tossing it in and unless i turn off my powerheads and hand feed him he cant get any because they move so slow.

My suggestion would be let him go 2 or 3 days without food and then try shooting some frozen food at him to see how he reacts. There should be enuff pods in your tank in the mean time to keep him full, im far from a pro here but that would be my suggestion. Try googlein it and see if you cant find anything. I love the fact that he's happy to see me when i do feed him, makes me feel needed.

If you can get your Mandarin to eat frozen you rock! As long as cops are visible and you see the fish picking here and there you should be in good shape. Good luck! In my experience Mandarin's are not easy to keep.

Back