Mechanical Filtration on a Nano Reef

Explicit

Reefing newb
Hey everyone,

Every time I ask a question, a new one pops in my head. I am trying to decide if I want to take the easy way and go with a Nano Cube tpye premade system, or do it the old school will and build my system in parts. I have read that all of the biological filtration comes from your LR and LS which is awesome. I have also read that protein skimmers are not needed as the water changes take care of that. My question is this, I have heard that power filters or canisters are not a good idea because they can store detritus and cause spikes in water quality. How do you mechanically filter a nano reef? I was thinking of using a power HOB filter with some crystal floss in it and just clean it out every few days? Would this work or am I better to not have any mechanical filtration at all?
Sorry again for the non stop questions lol :)

I think you would be better off with nothing. Mechanical filtration is more hassle than its worth in my opinion.

If you are cleaning out the media every 3 or 4 days, a mechanical filter can be a great addition to any size tank, nano or not. It only becomes a problem when people fall of the cleaning schedule.

So really, its up to you if you want to do a mechanical filter on the nano tank, you just have to make the commitment to clean it regularly.

so then its possible to have a thriving system with LR, LS, T5s ,heater and a Powerhead? This would be awesome as I am love the silent minimal look. My old hobby was nano type planted tanks and it was the very same principal. Also good to know before the staff at the LFS sell me up a bunch of drek I dont need lol

Last edited:
yep! That is what i ran for awhile in my tank. But at some point i decided i really wanted to get into the SPS so i added an algae scrubber. Im not sure if i would have had the same success with the SPS if i hadnt added it, you very well might might be able to keep those more finicky corals with just regular water changes. I just got really lazy about the water changes .. . . bad hannah :(

Awesome! I will cross the algae scrubber bridge when I get to it. My girlfriend is so excited because she is now convinced she will be able to actually help lol. Thanks for the advice!

On my old 10 gallon, I just ran a powerhead. Water changes took care of everything, but if the water ever needs some polishing, you can run some carbon in an HOB filter for a few days at a time.

Back