Mega Powerfull Mechanical Filtration algae removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

please just take in consideration we are talking about 1 micron filtration. Think about it! Imagine 1100 gallons/hour of water passed through this filter. How many things are caught by this filter?

If this filter works as you claim it does, and you try to keep corals or plankton-eating fish (like anthias), your corals and fish will starve to death. Isn't your filter not only filtering out the "bad stuff", but the "good stuff" that many animals need to survive as well?

Weekly if must be replaced will cost about 6$ wich is not bad at all.

That sounds bad to me. I don't want to pay $312 a year for replacement filters. Why should I, when I can have a protein skimmer that costs less than that, and doesn't have any parts need replacing? It costs me $0 per year to replace my skimmer parts.

$5 to $6 dollars is not bad for one week. How many people in here smoke cigs? That costs $4 to $5 dollars a day. As stupid as it is Im a smoker....LOL. If these filters can be cleaned Then you might not have to spend any money for a couple of weeks

Well yeah, I could be spending that money on hookers and crack too. Saying, "I could be spending that money on something worse" doesn't justify spending money on stupid crap! Instead, I'll spend $0 a week to replace my non-existent skimmer filters. I don't smoke, but I could still find a better way to spend $312 a year, than filters that end up in the trash after one week.

There is a reason this technology has been tried and abandoned in this hobby. It doesn't work, and other things do much better for much less cost.

not really; this s a very destructive theory and it runs your pocket empty.
I noticed in this industry that nothing is genuine. Everything is imported from the water industry, including protein skimmers. The protein skimmers were used since 1940's in massive tap water filtration.
1) Between my device and canister filters there is 0 differences except just the body. Also noticeable a pond canister filter with build in UV filter at Home Depot cost 160$ and it was build for 1000 gallons/hour. How much d you pay for a 1000$ canister filter for aquariums? 3-400$ what’s the difference? The one from home depot is even better since has a UV built in.
2) Another example of phosphates removers; based on ferric oxides (the reddish grains) were taken from industry when the real cost is a few cents / pound and they are selling 250 grams for 50-60$.
3) The lighting; metal halide set ups or florescentic set ups, Home Depot 60$ a base with 6 T5's the aquarium stores are selling them for 300-400$
The metal halides used in industry are now used in aquariums. You can buy the base and the bulbs from specific stores for like 5$ a 200 watt bulb and like 15-30$ the base.

There is a huge misconception around live rocks. There isn't such of thing as live rock except in the ocean. Nobody will ever ship a live rock from the ocean in the same water. The cost of transportation will just make it impossible. These rocks are only shipped humid and by the time you are buying them from resellers they are 99% dead rocks. So you are only buying base rock.

I think we should be careful and smart. There are a lot of traps and triggers in this business and yes, many of us will pay for a 2.000.000 house or 200.000 Mercedes of these retailers which are only packing something already existent adding 500% value.

I CANNOT POSSIBLY AGREE MORE. There are some issues where you need to bite the bullet and buy whats needed but there is also a lot of stuff out there that is very pricey and not absolutely necessary. Both my tanks are zero 'trates and we don't have a protein skimmer anywhere! I've also saved a ton of money by picking up my own rock off the beach and curing it myself.

You are wrong about one thing: Tampa Bay Saltwater DOES ship their rock in water.

The thing with canister filters and the DIY contraption you have is that they might become detritus traps. If you thoroughly clean them out every single day they can help keep the water clean. I think most people would quickly get tired of cleaning the thing every day --forget about it and then it gets dirty and starts spitting out 'trates.

Being new to this hobby and self proclaimed cheap and lazy. I looked in to every idea to save money so I wouldn’t have to chunk down the cash on a skimmer and sump.

After I did the math on buying filters and replacing those filters I decided to build my own sump. It should cost about $60 plus the skimmer so lets call it $150. I bought base rock for $80 and a dead shrimp for .21 cents.

You think your saving money by doing your new way but in one year you’ll spend more money on filter replacements than I spent on everything. My cost stays the same yours is never ending.

Lets talk in 3 years when my total cost is the same and your over a grand. Penny wise, pound foolish

There are plenty of places to buy inexpensive skimmers, pumps and filters…

i agree knuckle. why make things more difficult than they have to be keep it simple and you will be better off in the long run. no way in hell am i going to spen 6 dollars every week for a filter that i dont need.

I had to remove the 1 micron filtration since i have found out the bacteria has 2 microns and it'll be probably hold by this filter. (However the UV sterilizer does the same thing killing everything that goes throw them.)

It's a good idea to polish once in a while a few hours with 1 micron cartridge.
I have mount 10 microns filtration cartridge that should do it. The size of the brown algae and red slime is over 10 microns and it'll be hold here. I couldn't find the dimension of green algae.
After 5 days the 1 microns cartridge was green and filled with algae. It cannot be washed.

Last edited:
I had to remove the 1 micron filtration since i have found out the bacteria has 2 microns and it'll be probably hold by this filter.

Oh wow. I said that already... :frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

If this filter works as you claim it does, and you try to keep corals or plankton-eating fish (like anthias), your corals and fish will starve to death. Isn't your filter not only filtering out the "bad stuff", but the "good stuff" that many animals need to survive as well?

:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::grumble::grumble::grumble::grumble::grumble::grumble:

There's no way you can compare the HD t5 to reef t5's.LOL The one at HD wont put out near as much light, because no reflectors then you'd have to buy new bulbs and then your right back up to you reef t5 price tag and with a crappier housing.

Also I highly doubt you'll find a 5.00 MH and if you did I'm willing even more to bet it's no where near as good as one made for reefs. My headlights put out a ton of light, but that doesn't mean it'll work on my tank. There are places to cut cost and do some DIY, but not on everything.

I love DIY and am one of the cheapest people.LOL But stuff like this just isn't a good idea. Your replacement costs alone would justify saving and buying a skimmer. I commend you willingness to try. With out it no one would be trying new things to further this hobby, but when an idea is bad it's bad. You have to factor everything in. Just because it's cheap to build doesn't mean it's good when you have to spend a lot more in replacing parts even if it is weekly.

Too many people look at the short term goal and not the whole picture. I guess that's how places like finger hut and rent one stay in business.

that is one reason that i have said i am glad it is your money you are wasting by trying all these Little cheap methods but there are something that you just don't skimp on and one of them is lighting. if you hook them up wrong you can bum your house down

I'll huff and I'll puff nad I'll BUM your house down??

I just shut down mu sump, and I installed a 2 micron cartridge on a pool pump and I have 80 pounds of water pressure blasting through a 2 micron cart. now. I figure when it gets clogged the pump pressure will create its own vaccuum and a reverse osmothisis effect will take place. I'm gonna suck the slime right off the fis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back