Melonbob's 46g build!

nice pics. I like the color on the trumpet coral. I agree with reeffreak, the rocks are great.

-Doc

Big purchase today! I went to that store I was talking about, and man does he have a pile of stuff. Thing is, he says it the end of the month and he actually had nothing, he was waiting for orders. Prices are unheard of compared to what I pay here.

This is what I got

orange plate coral 2" diameter, short tentacles
About 4-5" diameter green tip frogspawn, easily twice the size of my last one
GSP, but a wicked color I haven't seen, more of a purpley - neon sort.
Close Brain, green and pink, about 6"
Finger leather
Orange button polyps, about 4" diameter bunch

And one fish, and orange anthias.

This would have easily cost me over 400 at my lfs....I got it all for around 200 bucks. I am really excited about these goodies!

Now for the questions. The finger leather was on a large chunk of LR, which I didn't like and as I was about to drop it in I noticed a bristleworm. I don't know if I have any, but I like to think I don't. Anyways, I broke up the rock to get rid of it, but in the process, the leather spent about 5min out of water. Is this a mistake?

Where should I be placing all this stuff?

I'll post a pile of pics once things open up a bit!

The leather should be fine and the bristleworm are beneficial if you decided to keep it.

Congrats and posting some pics would be great.

Heres some early pics

My anthias

004.jpg

a hitchhiker

005.jpg

orange polyps.....what is the thing with the black tentacles?

Thetank022.jpg

frogspawn

Thetank017.jpg

brain

Thetank010.jpg

orange plate....there is a chunk of algae on it, and it killed off a small part of it, can I just yank the algae off?

Thetank009.jpg

The black tentacles look like aiptasia or a sponge. Touch it with a stick or something. If it retracts, it's aiptasia, which is a big time pest. You'll have to kill it. They spread really fast and will kill your corals. They aren't usually black, but that's just what it looks like to me. You can kill it using Joe's Juice, a thick paste of kalkwasser or salt, or boiling water...

Nice additions.

You picked one of the easiest anthias.A single lyretail will do find although they are a shoaling fish.Remember to feed at least twice a day.Mysis and cyclopeeze is way better than brine.

The hitchhiker is an asterina star.Some people consider them bad and others(me) who don't.Removing them is up to you.

Sure,remove the algae while its small.It looks like a nuisance algae called bryopsis.

Sorry,I can't see the black tentacles in the pic.

great purchases! great color on the brain. ditch the starfish, I think they are bad news. the black tenticles do look like aptasia. kill it ASAP or it will spread and take over your tank. they are terrible. great anthia as well

-Doc

congrats on the new corals. the brain is my fav. I don't think the black thing is aiptasia. for one it's black, and it looks too big for aiptasia. It my be some type of sponge.

Nice additions! That mystery piece is glass anemone AKA Aptasia. Try to get rid of it asap. Thats a pest anemone and it can take over the tank easily. You can use aptasia control, Joe's Juice or just touch it, when it hides fill the hole with epoxy.

Great additions Melon.
Heres another method of dealing with aiptasia.Take a good sharp hyperdermic needle,mix up some good strong kalk water,then give the lil devil a shot of kalk.

You can also try with the needle boiling some saltwater from your tank and give it a shot of hot water. If you boil it with kalk better! :D

Back