Melonbobs predator build!!!

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
So anyways, I have the tank home and setup. It works out well, cause I'm off for three weeks vacation and I don't have the time to mess with it, so it can just sit there in case of a small cycle. I'm not expecting much of one though, the rock was only out of water for about 2 hours.

I'm thinking of having all the rock to one side of the tank, from the back corner, as a "home" for the lionfish, and having the other side of the tank wide open sandbed. This IMHO would make cleaning the sandbed alot easier, no? Plus I only have 30lbs for a 40g, so it doesn't take up a whole tank worth of space.

I am still looking for input on the live sand, should I reuse it? It was pretty grungy looking, but I bet there is alot of life in there.

What should I do with what I suspect is my gorilla crab? I don't want him cause he's uggo and apparantly not a good fella, but I'm wondering if lfs would have a use for him. If not, how do I humanely "dispose" of him?

Anyways, the kid is off to bed, and I'm gonna arrange rock....hopefully pics up later tonight!

If hes going in a predatory system Id keep him. Whats he gonna hurt? He might end up as a snack for one of your fishes but hey what the heck. Just my two cents.

OK, heres a pic of my $100.00 find. Everything you see was included. I am kinda liking the way I'm going with all the rock on one side, but I have no idea how small of a cave a lionfish can fit into. This rock is not nearly as nice as my first tank, I can now see how 30lbs in a 40g doesn't look like alot. I have 50 in my 46 and couldn't imagine how people do 2lbs/gal. Now I know. Anyways, input is always appreciated. Pic 1 is how I got it, pic 2 of course is after cleaning it up.

house_009.jpg

tankpics008-1.jpg

I like the look of all the rock to one side. There is no way I'm showing this thread to my son he wants a lionfish.

I don't think I would keep the gorilla crab in with the small rocks that you have near the bottom. I had one in my tank and it would move small rocks and steal frags all the time.

Mel and Bob, do you all plan on having any corals in this tank or is it going to be a FOWLR predator only tank?

There will be corals in it for sure, but I'm not sure how much. Right now I have a huge leather mounted in a clamshell that I am going to put in the back right corner. Haven't put alot of thought into that though. I have no idea what I can do with a lionfish!

Ok, My tank exploded with diatoms and little hair algae while I went shopping today, anyways its dirty. But heres some pics of my first additions!

JuneTankpics067.jpg

JuneTankpics086.jpg

JuneTankpics088.jpg

JuneTankpics090.jpg

JuneTankpics092.jpg

JuneTankpics096.jpg

There ya go! More to come once I do a tank cleaning!

Yeah, the pumps are questionable, they had some bad batches and one wasn't starting at first. I emailed them though and they sent out a pair no questions asked! Other than the pumps, the quality looks great, and it was pulling crap out before I even added anything

Back