Melted Purple Mushroom

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I don't know WHY, but I have the WORSE time trying to grow purple mushrooms. I bought my first purple mushroom about 8 months ago. It was a rock with 2 mushrooms about the size of a quarter. It never did well and after a week, they both detached themselves from the rock and drifted around. I tried putting them in little plastic cups with netting over the top. I tried to make them attach to some small pieces of rock. They would attach and I'd take them out and place them in the tank. Within a week, they'd detach again. Both of them eventually ended up in powerheads or under shaded portions of the tank. Dead. :grumble:

I bought another purple mushroom rock a few months ago. Placed them at the bottom of the tank in very low flow. They did fine for a few weeks and then one of them detached and started drifting. :frustrat: SOB!!!!!

I put it in a plastic cup and got it to reattach to a rock. I pulled it out after a month in the cup and placed it in a clam spot in the tank. One week goes by. This morning I find it detached and stuck against an Aussie Acan LPS. The Acan had it's tentacles out and was stinging the mushroom. 50% of the mushroom is melted goo. Looks like hot bubble gum on a sidewalk.

WTF am I doing wrong? It's a MUSHROOM!!! They are supposed to be EASY!! I'm just so frustrated and pissed off. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm ready to dump the whole tank down the toilet and grind up all the corals in the garbage disposal.

I have no idea.

I can't keep any plate corals for some reason. And they are considered "easy" also. I've tried 5 or 6 of them and they all die within 2 weeks.

Who knows? Maybe it's time to give up on purple mushrooms.

I have the same luck with montis.Buy one,and within a week its white as snow.No matter what I do.But acros and millies on the other hand tend to do great.
Theres just certian corals that dont like a certian tank for some unknown reasons.

I know how you feel. I started with a rock that had 10 blue mushrooms and now has one (though the one is now doing well). Maybe try a different mushroom such as Ricordea and wait on the purple ones for another time?

Well I can't get a kenya tree to grow. Everybody says they grow like weeds. Mine is either dead or a dwarf. It hasn't grown at all since I got it. It has to be alive because when the lights go out at night it shrinks. I figure one day it'll take off.

Purple shroom was one of my first corals, about 9 mths ago. He multiplied and there is a second one, but thats it. They'll go all shriveled up for a week, two at a time, then when I've given up all hope I come home from work and they are full size again. None of my other shrooms give me that kind of grief

My other shrooms are doing great. I got a colony of fuzzy green mushrooms that grow to the size of a coffee cup and then split regularly. Started out with 2 tiny frags about a year ago and now I probably got a dozen or more. I'm about ready to start thinning them and selling them before they take over.

The green stripe mushrooms are also splitting and growing like crazy. I've given several frags away.

The burgundy shrooms with blue dots are growing like nuts. Double in size in just a month or two. I'll be giving those away soon.

Damn purple shrooms just don't like my tank. :grumble: Maybe it's my flow rate? The tank is 30g and it has about 30x turnover rate. Pretty turbulent in most areas of the tank. But all the other corals are doing fine. LPS are growing and sprouting new buds. Zoas are out of control. Yellow polyps are growing like dandelions. I've given away 3 or 4 large frags of the yellow polyps in the last 3 months. The only thing I can think of is the tank is just too turbulent for the purple shrooms. :shock:

hmmm that could be the case like yote said becasue my red and green ones ore inhigher current while mypurples are in like no current at all. ( The purple shroom was my first coral an it was like the size of a dime now it is bigger than a silver dollar and has had babies) (around 8-10).

i used to eat purple mushrooms and go wack-o for a cool minute.....

...oh, you're talking corals again. my bad!!! LOL!!!

Back