Memphis Area LFS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by matthew1048, May 15, 2007.

1. matthew1048

matthew1048 Wurd to ya motha

I know most of the Tennesseans on this site are in the eastern portion of the state, but I've noticed a few westerners around here too. If you're like me, you have a hard time finding a GOOD LFS. Well, I think I finally found one. The place is called 'Something Fishy". It's located at 1658 Whitten Rd, which is just south of I-40. Don't let the place fool you...when you pull up you're gonna think you've wasted your time driving over there. You haven't.

Within the confines of this small looking house you will find fish of course, but a variety of corals, including a fairly good sized SPS collection...the only freshwater fish they sell are pond fish. And of course they have all the supplies. I only saw one poor looking specimen in the whole place, and it was a small anemone. Everything else looked to be happy and healthy. The tanks are nice and clean, except for one small case of some bubble algae, and it was being munched on by a crab. If they don't have something you're looking for you can always have them get it in for you. All of this plus a friendly staff...this will be the place I use in the future. :bounce:

matthew1048, May 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. matthew1048

reeffreak

I'm a Middle Tennessean thank you very much.Glad that you found a fishstore to call home because thats what it will be,a second home.

WARNING!!!:LEAVE YOUR WALLET AT HOME(but don't forget your driver's license)

reeffreak, May 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. matthew1048

ROFLMAO!!! Sorry...didn't mean to leave out those Middle Tennesseans!!! And yeah...you're right...thought about asking them if I could move a cot into the show room...LOL. And don't worry, I don't carry a wallet...which makes going in there all the more dangerous...

matthew1048, May 15, 2007
  4. matthew1048

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

You knkow its bad when you spend so much time at a LFS that they put you to work.Heck,Its got to the point to where if I dont show up at least every other day,they call to check on me.
    Plus pretty soon,it wont matter if you leave your wallet or plastic at home.They sell it to ya,they you'll have to pay later,,,lol

yote, May 16, 2007
  5. matthew1048

Ya know, somehow I think this can't be a good thing for a compulisve buyer...like me...LOL

matthew1048, May 16, 2007
  6. matthew1048

Think of it this way.
    Have you heard of anything thats fun,that IS good for ya?
    I mean,hamburgers are great and I love em,But dang it,they'll kill hammer dead.

yote, May 16, 2007
  7. matthew1048

LOL...point very well taken Yote!!!!

matthew1048, May 16, 2007
  8. matthew1048

Well, I went by another LFS in the Memphis area this weekend..."Kermit's Reef". They had a pretty nice selection, but not quite as nice as they other store. While there, I was watching some corals in a display tank and noticed some cob web looking stuff on a brain coral...kinda wondered what it was. I was guess it might have been some dead tissue being shed but I don't know. On an upside...my mother and her husband have seemed to forget that they thought I was crazy when I first started to talk about this hobby!!! They were about an inch away from buying a tank this weekend...

matthew1048, May 29, 2007
  9. matthew1048

Brain corals are bad about slimming.They may have just moved it one reason or another and caused it to slim up,or it have just been taking a crap,it happens.

yote, May 29, 2007
    matthew1048 likes this.
  10. matthew1048

LOL,Oh yeah,you should have pushed em over that inch,lol.

yote, May 29, 2007
  11. matthew1048

I think I might of talked them out of it. They started asking me all of these questions...about how many fish you could have, how long it takes, etc. Neither my mother or her husband have any kind of patience...and they found out that they couldn't keep as many fish as they'd like to, that and they didn't want to put in the time for maintenance/husbandry or research...or the money. If they lived closer to me, I'd do it for them. But they live about 1hr 10min from me, so it'd be kinda outta the question.

And thanks for the info on the slime Yote!!!

matthew1048, May 29, 2007
  12. matthew1048

bobby I like to do bad things.

I'm glad you found a good one, there are not alot it seems anymore.

I have been talking my brother into one for about a year now and he still wont even consider it. I even offered to give him all the stuff to start and help with everything till he learned but he still wont take my offer. He's kinda wierd, hes more into fresh water than salt. LOL

bobby, May 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question