Mesh Lid.

Using door screen and screen framing. Bulk reef supply sells the supplies and has a How-to video on their site.

My home depot and lowes bird netting had way to big holes.

I used screen door mesh and its worked fine for me, if thats all you have then it does work. I have jumping fish so I had to have it right away

My filter splashes water and it drips off the screen into the tank regularly and I have not had any issues with fish or corals.

I did just order my RO/DI unit from BRS so I threw in a roll of their clear mesh since orders over 175 was free shipping! Looking forward to switching it out this week!

I don't know what size the top is, I haven't gotten the tank yet (I'll be picking it up on the 20th). It's a standard 75 gallon tank.

Sorry to hijack this thread, Sir Alex, but I have a question about the DIY screen tops...

I have an overflow on my aquarium and the u-tube reaches into the DT where the screen cover would be. Currently, I have egg crate on my tank, and I cut the egg crate to go around the u-tube, but I think I'd like to switch to the DIY screen tops. Can I cut out a section of the DIY screen frame and screen so the u-tube fits, or would this completely compromise the integrity of the screen top? Thanks!

Sorry to hijack this thread, Sir Alex, but I have a question about the DIY screen tops...

I have an overflow on my aquarium and the u-tube reaches into the DT where the screen cover would be. Currently, I have egg crate on my tank, and I cut the egg crate to go around the u-tube, but I think I'd like to switch to the DIY screen tops. Can I cut out a section of the DIY screen frame and screen so the u-tube fits, or would this completely compromise the integrity of the screen top? Thanks!

I would just buy some extra corner connectors and cut the pieces of frame to go around the tubes use the corners to connect all the pieces. If that doesnt make sense let me know and I will go into more detail.

I actually made 2 sections for my top, a large one in the back that goes around my filter and a smaller one in the front that I can take off just for feeding so I dont have to remove the entire lid. All you need is more connectors though and you can manipulate it however you need to.

I would just buy some extra corner connectors and cut the pieces of frame to go around the tubes use the corners to connect all the pieces. If that doesnt make sense let me know and I will go into more detail.

I actually made 2 sections for my top, a large one in the back that goes around my filter and a smaller one in the front that I can take off just for feeding so I dont have to remove the entire lid. All you need is more connectors though and you can manipulate it however you need to.

Duh! :mrgreen: I should have thought of that! Thank you!! :bowdown:

It depends on how far your u-tube comes in. The space that my overflow takes up was big enough for me to use the corner connectors so for now I just have netting sitting on top of those areas till I find something better.

Do you have any pics of your mesh top? Since you have two sections, does the frame brace run through the center(ish) of your tank? If so, does it block light/cast a shadow in your tank? Thanks.

Do you have any pics of your mesh top? Since you have two sections, does the frame brace run through the center(ish) of your tank? If so, does it block light/cast a shadow in your tank? Thanks.

I made my first section only about 3 or 4 inches so the bar is closer to the front than the center, it does not cast a shadow because my light is in the center.

I only needed the front panel for easy access to feeding the fish so it didnt need to be that big.

I recently replaced the screen door mesh with the clear plastic stuff from bulk reef supply and it really does brighten it up a lot. I highly recommend it adn they give you a nice big piece too.

I am at work but I can take some pics when I get home later so you can see it!

Back