Messiah's 65g mixed reef build

messiah023

Reefing newb
Well, after almost 6 months of slowly accumulating equipment, we finally moved into our new home and I got around to building out the tank.

This is an upgrade tank from my previous 30g nano reef. Hopefully, the transition will be OK for the fish as I plan to move them into the new home in the next 10 days.

Starting equipment :

1. Marineland 65g (36 x 18 x 24) cornerflo drilled tank.
2. R&J Aquatics EXTREME cherry stand.
3. R&J Aquatics SIGNATURE cherry canopy.
4. Custom acrylic refugium sump from Advance Acrylics (30 x 13 x 14).
5. Reef Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer.
6. Mag 5 return pump.
7. CPR 18w refugium light.
8. Vortech MP40w pump.
9. Aquatic Life 6-lamp T5 HO light fixture.
10. Nature's Ocean live sand - Australian Gold
11. Marco Rocks base rock
12. Live Rocks from old tank & LFS
13. Phosban Reactor
14. Heaters

I would like to add a controller at some point, but it's on my "wish list" for now.

After many trips to the local hardware store, I was able to get this sucker plumbed.
I had to put a Tee in the return line with a ball valve for some flow in the fuge.
The sump is built with 3 chambers (skimmer - left / return - center / fuge - right)
I'm not too worried about any head loss to the DT yet as the vortech will be more than enough tank flow....but I will keep an eye on it.

I really like the Marco Rocks base rock. Since I'm in Florida and these things come from the Keys, I received my order overnight for no charge!!!! Also, the sand was ordered from the manufacturer (great company to deal with) right from Ft. Lauderdale...arrive also next day.

I decided to go the fixture route rather than retrofitting.... I really liked the fixture and decided it would be an easy unit to start off with.
The fixture is huge...I'm sure the tank will have way more than enough lighting.
I like the fact that the fixture has a single cord and separate ballasts to control three zones - Actinics on one, 10Ks on one and 4 blue leds on one. I can setup different effects for sunset / sunrise.

The fixture didn't fit really good under the canopy with the legs so I built-in wooden rails for the fixture to rest on. I have to devise some lifting or tilting mechanism to get in to feed the fish.

I will be using some netting and screen frame to make my cover for those pesky jumping fish.

I'm just waiting for the "dust to settle" before I can start my aquascaping adventure in the next two days.

First day pics...

full-tank.jpg

Here's one with my daughter to show how tall this thing is. The tank is on a 36" tall stand. I was worried I wouldn't like the tanks so high but it really is much better in my opinion.... I'll see how I feel after I have to climb the step stool every time I feed & change anything!!!

full-tank-2.jpg

Plumbing in the sump.

under-tank.jpg

Closeup of the Octopus Extreme

sump-close.jpg

Fixture on rails

light-fixture.jpg

Fixture from below

lighting.jpg

The world famous Marco Rocks

marco-rocks.jpg

Thats gonna be a great looking reef.:D
But there is one thing I can see in the pic of your lights that I would be worried about.
With the top on your canopy,that fan in the center of your fixture wont be able to effectively get rid of the heat with the canopy closed.I think I'd cut a hole just a tad bit bigger than the fan so it can blow the heat on out.

Thanks guys.
Yote, I was going to do that exact thing.
I have to measure out for the hole. Good news it, it's so high that I won't have to worry about a big gaping hole in the canopy!

Nothing is better or more fun than a new tank :D congratulations, everything looks perfect

I dont know if I could have waited 6 months to get it setup!

Tank Update:

I added the sand earlier in the week and waited for the dust to settle.
100lbs of livesand in the DT & 20lbs (8" bed) in the fuge.

I also added 25lbs of Marco Rocks for the base and 30lbs of formation liverock from another tank.
I will be adding another 15lbs of liverock from the nanoreef (has 2 pieces of frogspawn on it where the clowns live and lay eggs).

Here are the pics.... Thanks for everyone's comments & suggestions! It's nice to have support along the way. Hopefully I can integrate everything I learned over the past 3 years on LivingReefs into the new tank and make it as successful as the nano reef.

Sand is settling......took a week!!!!
tank_sand.jpg

Sand in fuge & skimmer/pumps setup..
sump1.jpg

sump2.jpg

Liverock & baserock are in!!! Marco Rocks has some great structure for coral placement....I highly recommend it!

tankrock1.jpg

tankrock2.jpg

tankrock3.jpg

HAPPY 4th of July to everyone!

Back