metal halide = led

mm16

Reefing newb
I want to replace my metal halide light with a led light, what led light would be equivalent to what I am looking for? I have some corals and starting to add more and want the led light strong for any coral.

Thanks

what size tank?
what kind of metal halide light are you replacing?
are you a DIY'er? or do you need to buy a premade fixture?

We need way more information here. You didnt mention what metal halide you are currently running, or the dimensions of your tank

What is your budget? Are you wanting to go the DIY route or buy a pre made fixture off the site?

Guessing this is going over the 92 gallon tank in your signature? Depending on what you have available to spend, there are some very good choices out there for LED's at the moment.

I have about 5 or 6 LED fixtures. Stay with the halides do NOT make them your primary light source they WILL burn corals if you over do it. Don't ask how i know.

I have about 5 or 6 LED fixtures. Stay with the halides do NOT make them your primary light source they WILL burn corals if you over do it. Don't ask how i know.

Reef capable LED fixtures fired up at 100% intensity right from the start will shock corals that are not used to that kind of light.
That is why it is recommended that the LED kits should have a dimming system in order to properly acclimate the corals.

Back