metal halide lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment' started by greggnyce, Sep 28, 2006.

1. greggnyce

greggnyce

Are metal halide lighting fixtures from home depot acceptable spectrums for reef aquariums. If so do the UV filters on them affect the light spectrum?

greggnyce, Sep 28, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. greggnyce

bkv1997

Last time I looked at lowes/Home Depot most of the fixtures were Pressure Sodium, Mercury Vapor, Hallogen, etc... only a couple were actually Metal Halide fixtures.

Typically you can get fixtures from Hellolights.com that are built with materials that will hold up longer in a Saltwater environment for about the same price. Typically the bulb spectrum of the lights at HD are more on the yellow end(6700) and most hobiest try to stay in the 10-14K as a general rule.

Just my thoughts on the topic.
    Brandon

bkv1997, Sep 28, 2006
    greggnyce likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. greggnyce

jhnrb

Just an opinion. I have always only used lighting systems developed for the aquarium industry. If the lights you are looking at are ok to use, the aquarium supply outlets would not carry lighting, so beware when using product not listed for aquarium use. good luck keep us posted.

jhnrb, Sep 29, 2006
    greggnyce likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question