Metal Halide on a 29 gallon Biocube

beam3er

Reefing newb
Hello,
I have a 29 gallon Biocube with the stock hood and PC lights. I am going to upgrade to a metal halide system from aquatraders.com. I was wondering which I should choose, the Odyssea MH 24" 250W DE HQI 15000K bulb with 4x dual blue moon LEDs, or Odyssea MH 24" 250W DE HQI 15000K bulb with 2x Odyssea 65W Compact Fluorescent Bulb Actinic Blue and 4x dual blue moon LEDs? I guess my questions is do I need the PC for the actinic blue or does the 15000K MH have enough blue into to suppost LPS, softs, and some SPS? Thank you all in advance for your input and responses.

The 15K bulb will be blue enough that you shouldn't need actinics. I'd go with that one if I were you. If you don't like it, you can always buy a differnet bulb with better color. 12K is less blue, 10K is even more yellow. So if it's too blue, you can switch it out.

Thank you both. I am going to buy the MH fixture without the PCs. I will post pics once I get the light up and running.

The PCs will give you extra wattage for animals that need higher light intensity, but I still think you'd be okay without them. Is there a big price difference?

if you havent bought it yet look at the 150 watt pendent. It has two 18 watt t-5 actinic on it. And its only $99. I bought that one for my 48 gallon corner tank and I love it. I have mine hanging from the ceiling with a clip on fan that comes on when the mh does. It is much cooler that way. The legs they sent didnt work out with my tank dimensions.

Thanks Ted, I will look into it. I am not really that interested in trying to hang something from my ceiling but I will definately check it out.

My tank is a corner the legs wouldnt work if your is square or rectangular then if should be fine. Here is a couple of pic of mine. The light I got was from the same people you where looking at aquatraders.

Attachments

• top down mod.JPG
    top down mod.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 2,668
  • DSC00126.jpg
    DSC00126.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 13,589
Back