Metal Halide Product Reviews?

Shishimon

Reefing newb
I was considering purchasing a Odyssea 18" Metal Halide system. I was wondering if anyone has used one of these? They sell for $104 on Aqua Trader. I was going to buy the upgraded mounting legs to get the lights higher off my tank. I also was going to purchase the 20000k bulb? I am using a 29 gallon Bio Cube that's running stock lighting my current water temp is running around 78-80 with the room staying around 70-75. I will certainly be running a deck top fan to help cool air between light and water surface. Anyways anyone have any experience with this light or an affordable 18" Metal Halide?

I did find a few you tube reviews. Here is one:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sNvBOtHYng&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Bio cube light upgrade - YouTube[/ame]

Lots of people use them. They are great if you are on a budget, but don't expect them to be of the quality that a more expensive fixture would be. They do break and fail more quickly and more often than other lights.

Thanks bifferwine. Yeah I figure for $104 the cant be the best. I'll most likely upgrade the ballast on the MH this I hope should increase the life of the unit

I used the 48" MH fixture from Aqua Traders for about 2 years, and I liked it. If you do upgrade the bulb, then make sure to get a quality bulb like an XM or Pheonix MH bulb.

Back