metal halides queston

Kwater

Chill
on my new 80 gallon I am going to be getting metal halides so I can keep spa corals. My questin is what are the weakest metal halides there are because we dont want to have a chiller. The cannopey will be 12 inchel talk and we will have many fans. My questin is is there any thing I should know

Haildes are going to produce heat weather their weak or not.
Another option is T-5s and I know for a fact you can keep SPS under those.

I have a double ended 150 w 14,000k MH pendent on my 35 gallon with one 6 inch fan pulling the heat from the surface up. My tank stays at a constant 80 now.

I also recommend T5s over metal halides for medium sized tanks like yours. You can keep anything you want under T5s, and they don't produce the heat like halides do. And they are cheaper. I'd look for a 48" set of T5s (provided your tank is standard size, 48" long).

wow it's amazing how you get so many answers. Where I buy my stuff for my tank they tell me that I will need metal halides to have sps corals. Wellnow that I have this info where should I place my clams and sps corals in the tank when I obtain the t5 lights ????

Looks like I'm a lil late but I run dual 175 watt MH's over my 55gal and don't have any heat issues. The fixture is very efficient at pulling heat away from the tank (dual 4" fans). I do like T5's though, I think a couple real advantages of T5's over MH are cost to run, awesome color, and longer bulb life. If you get IR's for the T5's you can put SPS just about anywhere.

You can keep your clams and SPS anywhere with T5s. I used to run a 4-bulb T5 fixture over my old 55 and successfully kept an anemone, clams and SPS. In my experience, the SPS grew faster and was more colorful when I had them under T5s versus my current halides. I do think that T5s are the superior lighting setup.

T-5s and halide will take care of SPS. I prefer halides over t-5 any day, but thats me. Alot people think t-5s are better thats them ( they're confused though)LOL J/K. Anyway either will do. You can build a halide set for around 100.00 each or hellolights has a 48" inch light on clearance for 154.00 and that's with the bulbs. A great buy even for a halide lover.

BTW I have a 175 watt halide on 30L reef with no heat issues and if you do get alittle heat a fan can do wonders for you. Also T-5 and halide put out the same amount of heat watt for watt.

Oh yeah heres a link to light on hellolights. http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1717

wow thank you everyone I guess my descision has been changed. Now for my last question will the sps corals and clams thrive under t5 like they would under halides. And can we put the t5 lights in my compact floresent holder or reflector or will I need to start all over agin ?

The clam and SPS will thrive. Also one thing about t-5 they don't penetrate the water as deep as halides do. so you might have to put the higher light stuff up higher in the tank depending on how deep your tank is.

You will need a t-5 ballast bulbs and end caps. T-5 have there own reflectors to get the best amount of light to the tank but you can use other reflectors though with not as good results.

The one I gave you a link to is everything you need.

ok so I guess I just halft to have my stuff closer to the surface. ok thank you everyone

Not really.
I've got SPS in the bottom half of my 125 now,with a set of T-5s lighting one end.Although it is a 8X54 watt bulb fixture.Kept my clam on the sand bed in my 75 with the same fixture and had SPS in the bottom 1/4 of the tank.

haha glad u got something out of it too wontonflip.

Well my last questin is is that I just talked to the people at my store and they recomended t6. There 4 feet long and it's 123 dollars for the whole lights and reflector things I was just hoping to learn more about these I am clueless right now. All knowlege welcome. Thank you.

Also I have sps and clams and wondering will these t6 make them thrive like t5 ???

If I'm not mistaken,T-6s are just your regular ole run of the mill VHOs.
Go with T-5s or metal halides.Either one will look great and keep your corals growing.

You will not be able to keep light intensive corals under T6 bulbs. Like Yote said, those are regular old fluorescent bulbs. T6 bulbs are the kind you see in the ceilings in offices and stores. I've never even actually seen a T6 setup sold in a fish store, they went out of favor a loooong time ago. No one uses T6 anymore, especially since there are so many other better options for lighting.

Actually t8 are whats used in offices. T6 can keep coral if they're high output. Basically a t6 HO has the same wattage as t5 but the bulb is bigger and you recieve less light. I think you can keep coral maybe not clams that I don't know for sure, but I would highly reccomend against them as well because for a little more you can get something a whole lot better.

ok well thank u for that info I guess I will still be getting t5 than. That's the best choice it sounds like. And u can keep hard stoner sps corals and clams under them

Back