metal hilyde compared to t5

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by littleyea1, Feb 24, 2009.

1. littleyea1

littleyea1

I have a t5 strip one white one actinic strip and my corals and fish do fine, I think I'm starting to just get more interested in just coral propigation... I kind of want another tank of just soft corals. Will the metal hilyde lights be to much, and should I just get another strip so its four bulbs.. the one strip I have now is on a 29 gallon deep aguarium and I was looking to buy the same tank but long for the frags... My question is would an extra strip be sufficient for growth or should I just invest in a metal hilyde light... Also I was wondering if the looks of the coral would greatly improve with metals over t5.. I'm kinda at a stand still .. I've seen hilde lights on ebay for like 200 and my t5 i bought for 50 bucks so its a little bit more money but that doesnt hurt me that much its the overall electric for the lights and if my softies even need that much light.. I want absolute best for my coral?

littleyea1, Feb 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. littleyea1

stagofdoom Phi Kappa Psi

Metal Halide would be a lot for a 29, t5's would be fine for a tank that size

stagofdoom, Feb 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. littleyea1

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

That size tank,stick to T-5s.

yote, Feb 24, 2009
  4. littleyea1

messiah023

T5s are fine. Soft corals won't require halides, especially in a 29g. Think about 4watts per gallon.

messiah023, Feb 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question