metalic green star polyps wont open

ghardy31

Reefing newb
i put the gsp in my tank and the first day they opened a little and after that they have been closed ever since, are they dead?i have checked all the water for ph nitrates and everything looks good. does anyone know what is wrong? i moved them close to the light and closer to the current. any help would be appreciated.

What kind of light do you have? They are a low-light coral.

Try moving them out of the light... Put them on the bottom of your tank for now, out of the current. Then see what happens. Do you still see the purple mat on the rock?

That's not enough light to keep any corals... That's light for a freshwater setup. I'm sorry to say, but you got really bad advice.

That's less than 1 watt per gallon. You want to shoot for at least 4 watts per gallon to keep even low light corals.

i had them at one time in the corner of the tank, still nothing the purple mat is still there. first got them about 2 weeks ago, opened at the store got them home they opened the first day and hasnt opened since

I think so... They are like other colonial polyps. I'm sure they would do fine under high light, but I when I think moderate to high, I think SPS -- and GSP don't need as much light as SPS for sure!

I'm thinking along the same lines as Biff.A set of T-5s with 4 bulbs and individual reflectors would be perfect for your tank.

Back