MH Light, T5 Lights, or CF lights???

the second one of the two would be closer but it does not have individual reflectors which means alot of your light is wasted..you really should look into lights with individual reflectors like these Catalina Aquarium..
they will be more exspensive but far better for keeping your corals..
Not saying it has to be those but ones like it..

Thanks ;) Can I buy reflector strips to attach?? lol I'll see if I can find some. The wattage is okay, though right?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Db-Solarmaxh02-Double-Strip-led/dp/B003I5ZQ9E/ref=pd_sbs_k_2"]Amazon.com: Db Solarmaxh02 Double T5 Ho Strip W/led 30": Kitchen & Dining[/ame]
How about this? It says it has reflectors

Only 48 watts though.. what's the min-max watts I need?

a 30" long tank is tough. Anderson14 had a 29 gallon with a single Metal Halide suspended above the tank and it looked really good, no idea what the wattage was though, I'd think it would have been a 75W or a 150W, anything stronger and you're going to start melting stuff

With a 30" I'd almost look at a LED Pendant light or two, I don't think there are many options for 30 inch lighting fixtures

+1 Northstar.

You could do a 150 watt halide or some LEDs. I personally would go with the halides because I'm not really crazy about LEDs

Its all personal preference really - I haven't seen any of the PAR38 LED bulbs in person, but after putting the AI LED's over my 180 - I won't ever be going back

I find the problem with LEDs is that they look dim.

I thought so too until I got the different colors dialed in correctly, I'll post some photos in my build thread of the tank with the MH/T5 fixture, and some with my new settings on the LEDs. With the LEDs dialed in the tank has a crisper look to it

those lights dont have individual reflectors, so those lights arent going to be good enough to keep some of the more light intensive critters, but there are still plenty of other options.

those lights dont have individual reflectors, so those lights arent going to be good enough to keep some of the more light intensive critters, but there are still plenty of other options.

Yes they do. "Equipped with high efficiency aluminum reflector, non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing." :wink:

Reflector. Not reflectorS.

That's the big difference. The ones Hannah was talking about have a reflector around each bulb, not just in the housing of the fixture.

Reflector. Not reflectorS.

That's the big difference. The ones Hannah was talking about have a reflector around each bulb, not just in the housing of the fixture.

Hmm.. I'm sure it'll be okay, I'll ask our saltwater guy and see what he thinks to. Maybe if we don't get coral right away we'll get a better light later. :)

That second light with the four bulbs would be fine over your tank. The tank is small enough that the lack of individual reflectors won't matter all that much. Plan on replacing the bulbs as soon as you get it with some ATI bulbs in various colors.

That second light with the four bulbs would be fine over your tank. The tank is small enough that the lack of individual reflectors won't matter all that much. Plan on replacing the bulbs as soon as you get it with some ATI bulbs in various colors.

Thanks for the info :) The lights in it won't be okay?

So, a FOWLR is just fish and live rock, right? We will have coral too.. just not A.S.A.P
Yep FOWLR is Fish Only With Live Rock ...

Thanks for the info :) The lights in it won't be okay?
The bulbs that come with fixtures usually have poor output numbers that can/will affect optimal coral growth. They won't need to be replaced right away but, they'll need to be replaced after a short period of time.

Yep FOWLR is Fish Only With Live Rock ...

The bulbs that come with fixtures usually have poor output numbers that can/will affect optimal coral growth. They won't need to be replaced right away but, they'll need to be replaced after a short period of time.

30" INCH HO QUAD T5 AQUARIUM CORAL LIGHT FIXTURE 96W | eBay

The one we picked out has a total of 96w. We'll definitely look into replacement lights :)

-2 x 24W T5 HO 12000K bulb. (6700K and pink bulb is also available upon request)
-2 x 24W T5 HO Actinic bulb. (6700K and pink bulb is also available upon request)
-2 x Dual LED moon lights.

Should we opt for the 6700k or be okay with the 12000k?

Last edited:
Back