MH/PC bulb combos

clancaster23

Reefing newb
With this being my first MH setup, I want to get new bulbs but not sure how to mix them. I need a 250W doublesided MH bulb and I need a 36" 96 watt pc bulbs, one on each side. I want it nice and bright but with a nice blueish tint to it but not drowned out. Anyone have any recommendations?

The PC bulbs should be actinics, and the color of the MH is up to you. I think most people would go with 10K to balance out the blue of the actinics, but if you like the tank to be a bluer color, you could go with 12K or higher for the MH bulb. It's up to you and what you want your tank to look like. Regardless, I'd get the bulbs from Reef Geek, and you can call their customer support line if you have specific questions about the differences between the bulbs they carry.

Yeah, I figured to go with reefgeek for them. Was also thinking I should maybe go with a whiter MH and have the actinics produce the blue tint I want. Right now I just don't want to get it too blue and thinking if I go any higher than 12k that with the actinics that it would be. Leaning towards a 10k though.

Back