MH Replacement Bulbs

Nanna

Reef Freak
Hi Folks, It's time to replace my 250w double ended metal halide bulbs. Most bulbs I've found are 10K, 14K, or 20K. I want to use the 14K bulbs for a good balance of color between white and blue. I've researched a lot of different bulb manufactures and I'm more confused now than when I started. I've looked at Aqualine Buske, Phoenix, Ushio, XM and Hamilton. I would appreciate any and all comments or recommendations anyone would have to help me make my decision. Thanks in advance for your help. :frustrat:

I am quite happy with my Pheonix 14k's. I would recommend them on color and coral happiness. However, I did hear from someone, (worked at the LFS in Tampa) that they can go bad after 6 months or so... I guess i will find out... Hamilton is a quality brand with good color if you can pay the $100 a bulb sticker price.

Phoenix bulbs. Hamilton are crap. Try soslighting.com. you can call and ask the guy that runs it, he sells them all and will tell you Phoenix is the best he carries. Plus he is the cheapest on bulbs I have found. 47.99 for the Phoenix 250 DE

+1 Fast. I was researching replacement bulbs when I made the decision to upgrade to LEDs, and from what I was able to find the Phoenix bulbs are very well regarded and aren't horribly priced

Thanks for the comments guys. Sounds like Phoenix is the way to go. Do any of you supplement your 14ks with additional actinic bulbs?

i dont run MHs but i just read a thread by Ccapt i think, and he did par readings on different bulbs, and i know the Iwaski (sp?) was one of the top two bulbs. i cant remember the exact numbers but i remember it being great. just trying to help

The top bulb for 250w DE is the XM 10k, unfortunately it's not the color spectrum you're looking for. I'm not too sure about the DE bulbs but I know with the mogul base, radiums are one one the top bulbs available.

Back