Micro Bubbles Problem....

lee.carter57

Reefing newb
Well I am new to the site and I have never really been one for forums but im going to give it a try because I need some help.

I just set up a 180 gallon tank with an island overflow. It has 3 holes with the bulkheads. 2 drain pipes and one return. The drains go down to a 40 gallon sump. The plumbing going from the tank to the sump is PVC and there are unions and ball valves on all of them for ease of shutoff, and disconnect in the event I ever have to move the tank or break it down. In the sump I have a coralife superskimmer, And yes I do know that it needs to be broke in or it may cause micro bubbles. But I have not been running the skimmer so I know that its not the skimmer.

On the other end of the sump I have a bulkhead that leads through a ball valve and a union and then to the pump. off of the pump I have all PVC with a break off that forms a U shape with a ball valve where it breaks off of the main line and then one where it returns to the main line. This is my feeding tube. The ball valves are there so I can shut off the water flow to that section of the plumbing, introduce the food and then re-open the ball valves so it will carry the food up to the tank. the rest of the plumbing is PVC with some standard elbows to bring it back up to the tank.

I have checked all the fitting's and no leaks. I have also tried adding more glue to each fitting on the outside to insure that everything is air tight and its not working.

The pump that I have is a supreme classic model 18 with a maximum flow rate of 1800 gph but with the head on the tank its really pushing about 1000 gph.

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Well I am new to the site and I have never really been one for forums but im going to give it a try because I need some help.

I just set up a 180 gallon tank with an island overflow. It has 3 holes with the bulkheads. 2 drain pipes and one return. The drains go down to a 40 gallon sump. The plumbing going from the tank to the sump is PVC and there are unions and ball valves on all of them for ease of shutoff, and disconnect in the event I ever have to move the tank or break it down. In the sump I have a coralife superskimmer, And yes I do know that it needs to be broke in or it may cause micro bubbles. But I have not been running the skimmer so I know that its not the skimmer.

On the other end of the sump I have a bulkhead that leads through a ball valve and a union and then to the pump. off of the pump I have all PVC with a break off that forms a U shape with a ball valve where it breaks off of the main line and then one where it returns to the main line. This is my feeding tube. The ball valves are there so I can shut off the water flow to that section of the plumbing, introduce the food and then re-open the ball valves so it will carry the food up to the tank. the rest of the plumbing is PVC with some standard elbows to bring it back up to the tank.

I have checked all the fitting's and no leaks. I have also tried adding more glue to each fitting on the outside to insure that everything is air tight and its not working.

The pump that I have is a supreme classic model 18 with a maximum flow rate of 1800 gph but with the head on the tank its really pushing about 1000 gph.

What water are u using ? Ro or tap water?

Water chemistry wouldn't create micro bubbles. Your first step should be to see where the microbubbles are starting? Do you have them in the sump, or are they coming from your DT?

Hello and welcome to the site...it sound like the bubbles are being generated from the sump area...the water falling into the sump from the overflow are making the bubbles, and the bubbles are traveling thru the return pump and being chopped up into micro bubbles. Do you have any sponges in the sump to try to eliminate any bubbles?

Well today I added two PVC sections that extend down from the bulkheads in the top of the sump to just below the water surface in the sump to see if the water falling from approximately 8 inches could be the cause. But that did not work there are still numerous bubbles coming from them.

Yes I do have sponges between the compartments in the sump. But that's not helping. I also have a sponge that goes over the bulkhead for the return.

I tested the water, everything seems normal (considering it is a brand new setup and is going through its cycles).

do u have a protein skimmer? maybe there's some cavitation from a powerhead?

Back