micro reef?

Rockyreiter

Reefing newb
Right now, I have the Eclipse 3 system (3 gallons) that is freshwater, but i am considering turning it into a micro reef next summer.

I know most people say that keeping a micro reef is a lot harder than having a larger reef tank, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on turning my 40 gallon into a reef tank (since I'm only a college student & I have emotional attachments to the not reef-safe fish i have in that tank).

For critters, I've found that dwarf seahorses are recommended for 2-5 gallons (I won't get those til much later) and they have always interested me. I also love inverts. I like the coral banded shrimp but for some reason I've had trouble with them in the past. What else would be good other than hermit crabs and small snails?

People on other forums have also said that the stock lighting for the tank isn't good enough for most corals but is sufficient for mushroom coral.
I have tons of live rock in my 40 gal and I would gladly move a hand full to this tank (though I might just buy new rock since mine has gross algae, bleh)

Again this is me just considering doing this. I thought I would come here to get some tips on where to start with this. :)

You may have missed the contest going on but, everyone is limited to the same 3 gallon tank. Check out their contest threads here Contests
It may give you a bunch of ideas for your tank. And check out Picasso's thread because it may make you rethink keeping dwarf horses.

Back