Microbe-Lift Products

OneFishTwoFish

Reefing newb
I was recommended two different Microbe-Lift Products from my LFS - Artemiss, a bacterial disease remedy I used for one of my cichlids who had pop-eye, and also Herbtana, another remedy for parasites, that I used on my new Hippo Tang, who developed velvet either at the LFS (a different one) where I got him, or within hours of coming home. Both products work wonderfully! They have a whole line of natural products for all sorts of different uses, and I am now convinced this line is a good choice for those who would rather not use chemicals to treat their tank/fish unless as a last resort. By the way, they even have a product that can be used to cycle a tank. Maybe someone has used it and can let me know if it works as well. :twocents:

Im glad to hear you cleared up the issue, but is that hippo going into the 90 gal? Sadly hippos need much larger tanks to do well (8 ft long preferably) to keep them in a smaller tank just invites other issues because they get stressed over the small size of the tank.

I was planning on putting the hippo into the 90 G, not keeping her in the 30G. I had done some research, and recommended size was 90G+, and the LFS confirmed this info...right now she is only 2", so I thought that she could stay very temporarily in my 30G. BTW, I used some API "Quick Start" Cycle product on the 90G a week ago, after having 2 shrimp in for four days. I initially thought that it had "done nothing", but now, ammonia has dropped to 0, nitrites at 0, and nitrates barely there!! :bounce:
So, as soon as I get my live sand in there, and do another couple of water tests, the hippo can go "home".

You said something about an 8???? foot tank? Mine is your typical 90G configuration. That IS large enough for the tang, Yes?

No, im sorry its not.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

Live aquaria, which is one of the more trustable sites, recommend a minimum of 180 gals. All the people on here who keep them successful will tell you they still look cramped in those big tanks, even when they are only 2-3 inches long.

and BTW, LFS exist to sell you stuff, of course they are going to tell your tank is large enough when its not. That way when it dies because its stressed out, you go back and get another one. LFS are notorious for giving bad and misleading advice.

Geez, I am really bummed to hear that...BTW, I didnt clarify, the LFS that told me 90G was fine, was not the same store that sold me that fish (I purposely asked a different store for the very reason you said, thinking I was Oh so smart.) Now I just feel dumb. How long would we be able to keep her in the 90 G before we have to give her up?:question:

You could keep her there for a few months, but any sign of distress (ie disease, like she already had) means you needed to find her a bigger home a few months ago. Also if you she doesnt have a good appetite, then time to move on. I personally wouldnt keep her in there if she gets to be about 3 inches either.

And dont feel stupid, this happens all the time. Feel good that you can get her into a home that she can live her whole life in happy. The should live to be around 10 years, 5 at a minimum. It makes me really sad that Finding Nemo made this such a popular fish because very few people have the tanks big enough to properly care for them. Most will die an early death because people love them to death in a tiny tank. And then go buy another one . . .

Back