Midas Blenny

antikas

Reefing newb
Well, I got back from a 3 day weekend with family in another state and found my midas blenny half eaten in the corner of my fish tank :(

I can't believe he died, he seemed perfectly healthy when I left. I checked water conditions before leaving and they were good, with just a trace of nitrates. Checked them again just a few minutes ago and still the same with just a trace of nitrates. I doubt I will even know what got him.

I have two clowns, a yellow tang, 1 shrimp and two hermit crabs in a 70G tank. I had just treated the yellow tang for velvet, but he was the only one who had it. I can't imagine velvet killing the blenny in just 3 days (more like 2 from the looks of the corpse).

My only thoughts were that two-daily feedings from the automatic flake feeder wasn't enough? Seems unlikely.

The only thing I did differently before I left was put in a garlic enhanced green algae sheet, though I doubt it stayed long because the tang was devouring it. Any guesses would be appreciated. Thanks.

Honestly over a three day weekend your fish should survive without being fed, they won't be happy, but that shouldn't cause them to die.

How long have you had the Midas? I honestly believe that sometimes fish just die, not much of a reason.... who knows. Everything tested out just fine when you got home?

Yeah, I agree with ndepratt. It's usually impossible to tell how a fish has died, if it's not exhibiting signs of disease or distress. Fish can go for a while without being fed (I have gotten my tank on a schedule now that I only feed once a week or so -- and there are 20+ fish in my tank).

Back