Midwest Coral Farm

x19

Reefing newb
So, I've worked like 10 million hours in the past 3 weeks and haven't been able to visit the forum much but now that things have calmed down I wanted to post about the most amazing fish store I have ever seen...this place was incredible.

Midwest Coral Farms - Welcome

Located in North Chicago, this place was a bit of a drive but we just happened to be in Wisconsin for the day so I was able to convince my wife to let me stop on the way back, and man am I glad I did. The facility itself is in an industrial park, and resembles a bit of a warehouse with a very nondescript door but when you get inside its 3700 square feet of coral and fish. There were 5 large tanks of corals plus a display tank along with plenty of fish and inverts (they were selling a mated pair of Clarki clowns with their hosted anemone, very cool). Corals were clearly the focus and there was a huge space marked "Coral Propagation Area: Employee's Only Sorry"

There were large corrals holding live rock for $3.50 a pound (sale price, normally $6.50) and they also had a ton of Marco Dry Rock for something like $4 a pound. For the most part corals were organized very clearly by rack, with a ton of $10 frags. There were full colonies and rarer stuff that went up to $280 or so. As it was a last second trip I didn't have the largest budget but I'll post pics of what I got over in my tank thread soon (a Sunset Ricordea, Trumpet Coral, and my first SPS - which I've forgotten the name of).

I should mention that they do flow mostly using surge tanks so that its pretty easy to see the corals without too much water movement.

If you're in the area, you absolutely have to check this place out. I've attached pictures, but they aren't the best.

Display Tank - I took this from the back for some reason, the other side showed off some beautifully colored SPS.

4932584693_1fe014cf3b_b.jpg

The front tanks, all very clearly priced and huge (Some cyano in this first tank, but it was only in that tank and none of the corals seemed to mind):

4932584679_20371c7628_b.jpg

The back room, to the right is a huge wall of fish and behind me is the live rock vats and water quality testing station. If you look at the right side of the photo you can see one of the clowns from the mated pair and hosted anemone lot:

4932584685_323be0123b_b.jpg

Last edited:
I wish we had something like this near me.Thanks for sharing.

I see they have their T5 lights hung high up on the softies/LPS tanks.It makes me feel better about mine now.Love the peniscula tank.

Their website looks like it needs help, but i might just make a day trip out of it. Looks like i could spend alot of money there =)

Well i just got back from Midwest Coral Farm and i was very impressed. Best LFS ive run into yet. It is only a 45 min trip and welllll worth it. Very nice prices on everything and the people there are very nice. I picked up an orange starfish for my harlequin. Also picked up some blasto's for 8 bucks a polyp and some clove polyps. Ill post some pix of the corals tomorrow they are shriveled up as of right now. There were quite a few ppl there so i didnt want to take a bunch of pictures. But i did take one of their 6+ inch mantis and one other pic of a fish i think.

Heres the starfish dinner lol...

66643027.jpg

Heres a few randoms i took, not much of anything but i was really to busy looking at everything to worry bout pix.

8384be8a.jpg

354470dc.jpg

6f833ab3.jpg

I'll defintly be going back there and would recommend anyone with in an hour drive to make the trip. You wont be disappointed.

I make bi weekly visits to midwest coral farms now. BEST LOCAL FISH STORE EVER! I cant say enough about how i appriciate their LOW prices for HIGH quality corals. I just spent another 78 dollars on corals i normally would have spent over 200 for online or any other LFS. If anyone is within an hour driving distance i HIGHLY recomomend this store. I promise you their service and products are GREAT. Ill post some pictures tonight of what i bought, along with prices.

Dana, Jay and I went down to Midwest Coral Farm's over the holiday weekend. They were fabulous!!! Thank you so much for the recommendation!!! We got the pink spotted goby out of the tank and bought one of their Blue Spotted Jawfish ($69 bucks!) We got a few frags too because over the holiday it was buy 2 get one free! The jawfish is already grabbing frags to decorate his burro, its nice to see he is making himself at home:bounce: Their store is beautiful and clean. I loved their selection and prices!!!! I will be going down their again in a month or two to get more frags, we might also get a pair of their captive breed clownfish with a bubble tipped amenome (not sure yet)! Thanks again Dana for the frogspawn, zoa's and mushrooms!!! They are all doing great and getting big!!! You will have to come over sometime and give me tips on my setup :D Order some pizza, have a beer, and play some call of duty:Cheers:

Dana, Jay and I went down to Midwest Coral Farm's over the holiday weekend. They were fabulous!!! Thank you so much for the recommendation!!! We got the pink spotted goby out of the tank and bought one of their Blue Spotted Jawfish ($69 bucks!) We got a few frags too because over the holiday it was buy 2 get one free! The jawfish is already grabbing frags to decorate his burro, its nice to see he is making himself at home:bounce: Their store is beautiful and clean. I loved their selection and prices!!!! I will be going down their again in a month or two to get more frags, we might also get a pair of their captive breed clownfish with a bubble tipped amenome (not sure yet)! Thanks again Dana for the frogspawn, zoa's and mushrooms!!! They are all doing great and getting big!!! You will have to come over sometime and give me tips on my setup :D Order some pizza, have a beer, and play some call of duty:Cheers:

Mention my name next time you go. They ALL know me well lol. Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. They do have some nice prices on everything i must say. Cant go wrong with beer and pizza. You still have my number, if not you can always PM on here.:Cheers:

No worries Dana, I mentioned your name already! I told them when we were checking out that you referred us and if there was another Dana I said the one from Wisconsin!

Back