Mike's 46 Gallon Bowfront Build

mikewurtz

FOWLR Power!
Hey Everyone!

Quick bit of history:

I was active a few years ago while keeping my 90 gallon FOWLR tank. It was my first tank and I had inherited it from a friend already established. I kept it active and thriving for about 2 years. After a catastrophic failure resulting in the death of most of my fish I was so greatly discouraged that I sold everything that remained and walked away from the hobby.

After much thought I realized that some of the biggest problems I had with my first tank was the fact that it was way too big for a first time tank, and I wasn't invested enough in it due to the fact that I didn't get to design / establish it from the start.

I'm so excited now to share this with you guys. Yesterday I bought a brand new 46 gallon bowfront.

JcD2VUx.jpg

My nosey Siamese cat, Libby decided to help me by overseeing the leak check.

EQsVnnz.jpg

48 hours with no leaks. I think we're good.

K1Ufv1x.jpg

Next up, I've decided to try my hand at some DIY live rock. My materials have been gathered.

xkC6rIW.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks so much for checking out my build so far. Stay tuned for updates!

Welcome back! Making your own live rock sounds like a really cool project!! Probably saving a ton of money too. I can't wait to see how it turns out! Are you going to do a reef tank this time around?

Thanks Anthony!

chichimom - I'm gonna stick with FOWLR.

The cost for DIY live rock is about $0.50 per lb when all is said and done. Best of all, I can decide on any shape and arrangement I want. It will take a few months to seed, but I don't mind. Patience is the one thing I have in abundance this time around.

Ok guys. Update #1:

I decided against using my DIY rocks because I didn't like the way they turned out. HOWEVER, I did it and took pictures so here they are with a summary:

First, there are a metric crap-ton of different recipes all across the net and it all boils down to a matter of taste. The materials between each recipe are largely universal. You will need:

- Portland Cement ( White is better for cosmetic reasons, but gray is safe as well)
- Crushed Oyster Shells
- Play Sand ( Any clean non-silica sand will work)
- Water
- A large container or tub
- Large rock salt can be slightly mixed in before pouring to dissolve and increase
the porousness of the final product.

I started off with a ratio of 3:1 (shells:cement) but ended up with 1:1. I think this was my ultimate mistake, the result looked too much like plain cement. If I tried it again I would go more shell heavy for sure.

I used the sand to form a mold of the final rock shape.
ePMtvmO.jpg

After mixing to desired texture, I poured the mixture into the mold. You can create tunnels in the rock using the sand.
jZo7Glk.jpg

After sitting for 48 hours it had dried completely.
w1y1SYU.jpg

The MOST IMPORTANT step in DIY rocks is soaking the rock after it is dry. This can sometime take weeks to complete. It is 100% essential because the water leaches out the alkalinity from the cement and prevents harmful PH spikes once the rock is in your tank.
cPDIrVG.jpg

Ultimately, I decided against using the rock. It is a HUGE cost saving measure, but you can't beat the beauty of natural rock .

So, 60 lbs. of live sand went in.
fMFrUCw.jpg

2b6W2Jb.jpg

Then it was time to fill 'er up!
lXnkOkk.jpg

As usual, my supervisor was in attendance
Sa7j8lW.jpg

Filled, with annoying 5 gallon salt lines :(
0K5FKdP.jpg

Cleaned with a few base rocks added that I had on hand.
msSrjpp.jpg

That's all for now, thanks for checking in!!

Thanks Chichimom. I was looking at your build threads. Westley and Buttercup are adorable!! I love The Princess Bride, that made me smile. Keep up the good work!!!

Back