MikMcgyver's 125 Build

MikMcgyver

Vlamingi owner 4 life!
Well folks, I did it. Just purchased my tank today. I went in expecting to but a 90 gallon and walked out with a 125 gallon. Does this qualify for the big tank club?

The tank measures 72" wide, 18" front to back, 20" tall. Was going to do a 135 for $70 more but w s worried about the final heigth of the tank. As it stands now I will have to use a stepstool to get to the bottom. My stand is 36" tall, which I think is plenty tall.

I will recieve the tank a week from thursday. I am having the tank drilled, and bulkheads installed so I dont have to worry about it. I will start posting the construction of this beast as soon as I am done here. I have a ton of pics already...

Wish me luck, and I will have a ton of questions for all of you..

Congrats! Yep, I think that gets you in the Big Tank Club. We are very elite; feel privileged!! ;)

It's good that you got it drilled. It will make setting it up so much easier.

The way I am having the tank drilled you should not see any pvc up top, and still waiting to see how I am going to plumb the sump. I think I may have a couple of ideas after a long visit to my LFS today..

Just shy of $500 for the tank, another $100 for them to drill it and put the overflow where I wanted it. Also the bulkheads will be installed when it arrives. I am doing a 1 1/2" drain into my sump, and (4) 3/4" returns to the tank. 2 from the overflow box and 2 from the left and right side of the tank. Shouldnt need any powerheads, but we will see what the flow looks like in the tank..

Here is my stand.....
DSC_0028.jpg

Front
DSC_0031.jpg

Back
DSC_0032.jpg

Doors and drawers
DSC_0033.jpg

My wife had it custom built a few years ago and lately it has become the catch all cabinet for all the junk around the house. Candles, placemats, toys hidden from the 2yr old boy...

congrats! thats great news. and only cause Dr Marco would feel left out does the 125 qualify as big tank club :) 6 feet or longer is where its at!

and ah yes the stand. didnt you have a build thread on that. it looks great!

I posted a pic or 2 in another thread but will continue it here...
DSC_0035.jpg

I took the doors off and removed the drawers so i could flip it on its face and cut the back out. A handy dandy lil laminate cutter made short work of the thin plywood there. Also removed the drawer glides, as they got in the way..
DSC_0037.jpg

My little helper was in today. Hes 2 years old and crazy about tools..

I screwed in support 2x4's across the front and along the sides to let the 4x4 post legs sit on them for support.
DSC_0050.jpg

Those are the front legs. They kinda block the area in front where the doors open but thats ok. The only thing over there will be a battery back ups. and the power control center. Will have switches to turn lights on and off, pumps on and off, etc...

DSC_0053.jpg

Here is the cabinet flipped back over onto its feet. More to come...

Mik,Have you ever thought about building costume stands for a living?
Looks great.

You had any problems with that DeWalt set? 18 volt?

I bought one of DeWalt sets in 24 volt with a hammer drill.I cant keep batterys for it.After 6 to 8 months they get to where they wont hold a charge for more than 15 to 20 minutes.

Sump is only 30" long, 13" wide, and i think 16"-18" tall... Should have a good amount of room in there. Sump is rated to fit up to a 180 gallon tank..

DeWalt 24volt is the worst set out there... I have the same issues with batteries. I never even use it anymore. Bought myself a 1/2" corded drill for hammering, 18v is for the rest.. I should buy stock in DeWalt, i keep their kids rolling in Bently's and Benz's...

I bought one of DeWalt sets in 24 volt with a hammer drill.I cant keep batterys for it.After 6 to 8 months they get to where they wont hold a charge for more than 15 to 20 minutes.
i have a ryobi set. it works great! sorry to hear about your dewalt... could be the heat..... wait no i have heat here too :mrgreen:

mine is 30x16x15 super sketch on my 180.... i think ill have a small flood :( i guess from the pics it looked like placing that in there was going to be tight but sometimes pics give you a skewed image opposed from in person. then i looked at my stand and i was like oh yeah hell be cool.

DeWalt 24volt is the worst set out there... I have the same issues with batteries. I never even use it anymore. Bought myself a 1/2" corded drill for hammering, 18v is for the rest.. I should buy stock in DeWalt, i keep their kids rolling in Bently's and Benz's...

Same here on supporting Dwalts kids.
I think I'm gonna invest in an 18 volt milmakee( know I didnt spell that right).
I'd have to drag 400 feet of drop cord to use an electric drill.

Back