Millepora

BigH55

I'm that guy
Im starting to take a liking to these corals and can get some nice frags. Think they would be ok in my 15 gal frag tank, With a 96 watt PC light? The tank is only 6" deep and with the frag rack, it would bw raised another 2".

Big H youre going to have to upgrade that light bro! Cant have a sweet frag tank and no way to grow em! :)

Well once the 20gal frag tank is up ill put some sps frags in it. I have a 300w MH fixture that would work for it, but I dont want to fry the tank. Its only 15 gal. If you think that light wont cook the tank, ill try it. Also, i dont know if the zoos would like the intense light along with the acans.

You will fry the tank with a large MH light. Ive never heard of 300 watt? I was curious why they said you couldnt keep millis under your PC light. You have plenty of light as far as watts per gallon. You arnt going to get the best colors, and probly not the best polyp extension. But if your water is good you shouldnt have any trouble keeping some small milliporas. I kept two in a 20 gallon reef with a 65 watt power compact. Your tank and light is not perfect for SPS. but it will work. Zooanthids would like the extra light as well. Acans can be a bit more sensative. Ive found that acans can be very different in what they like. It is a constant game of moving each one around till you find out what each one likes.

The frag tank is plumbed into me 110. The MH fixture is a 20" 250w MH with two 24 watt Actinic PC bulbs. In concerned that the light would heat the shallow water to much. I guess ill just wait until the other tank is up and running to get some milli frags.

Why dont you just build a small egg crate frag rack just for your SPS glue it to a mag float and hang it off the back of your display tank? Keep your LPS and zoas in the 15 gallon frag tank.

Dont want to spend 40 bucks on the mag. Also, snails bulldoze the frag nightly. Been there before and it pisses me off royaly

Just curious what exactly wont work? What is going to be the outcome if he adds a millipora frag?
You know the outcome.;) PC lighting has no where near the PAR needed for SPS. It might stay alive, but it won't grow...and I think a frag tank is for growing out corals. ;)

Like I said before it isnt the optimum enviroment, But to just set a blanket "Wont Work" kinda surprised me. There is always a better way and better color and better growth. But it will work.I personally wouldnt waste my time with a power compact light anymore, because of the lack of growth and color, but I did it for alot of years when they were popular and didnt know the difference. LOL!

Back