Mimic Tang

There are some people that are very successful keeping Moorish Idols, maybe Rob will be one of them. I personally wish him luck.

In addition, I believe it is important to offer support and encouragement to all our members. This hobby can be hard enough at times and it doesn't help to just tell someone they are going to fail when they come here asking for help in the first place. JMO.

In addition, I believe it is important to offer support and encouragement to all our members. This hobby can be hard enough at times and it doesn't help to just tell someone they are going to fail when they come here asking for help in the first place. JMO.

He said it himself -- he did not come here asking for help. I don't believe it is okay for someone that knows how difficult these fish are to buy them for a tank that is already filled with incompatible fish, and that doesn't have the proper food for them. That's worse than ignorance. That's purposely setting those fish up for failure. My attitude towards it would be different if he had actually tried to provide them with a good environment where they had a better chance of survival. What has he done to make sure his moorish idols have a shot at surviving? Made sure the tank mates are compatible? Nope. Made sure it has food to eat in the tank? Nope. He thinks the fish is a type of tang -- he probably thinks it will eat algae sheets. He is not even home for 2 weeks straight every month, and thinks that environment is okay for moorish idols? He is not a noob that just walked into a store and bought a pretty fish he saw. He should know about these fish, and what they need. He should hold himself to a higher standard in this hobby, but he's not. He bought these fish because he wanted them, and has no regard for providing them what they need to survive. That is a terrible way to act in this hobby.

The other person on here that tried a moorish idol actually tried to provide him a suitable environment. She did her best to research the fish, and provide him with everything he needed (and he still died). But Rob is not doing that. He is not even providing the basic requirements for these fish to be happy. The worst part is he knows that, and seems to be okay with that, and it's too bad you are okay with that too.

IMO, it is not okay to ignore people that are deliberately and purposely making bad and irresponsible decisions and just tell them "Good Luck". That is irresponsible of the person reading, who, I believe, has an obligation to step in and say "What you are doing is NOT okay." We all have fish that we want. I want a ray for my tank. I know they need a large sand bed and little rock. My tank is the opposite of that. Is it okay for me to just go ahead and buy the ray anyways, because my desire for this fish trumps the requirement that I provide for their basic needs? No, it's not okay, and I would expect someone on here to at least stand up to me and tell me I am being a douche by buying that ray for my tank when I know it needs a different set up. Someone who is experienced, and has been in the hobby for a while has no excuse for just buying animals like that without making sure they can give them a good home.

People like that are what give critics of the hobby like Snorkel Bob ammunition. Reefers that are intentionally irresponsible and purposely disregard basic requirements for their livestock are not good for his hobby. And they are no friends of the reef. What he is doing is the opposite of being "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and sorry, David, I'm not going to just smile and say "Good luck!" when I see that.

Last edited:
Ok Biff so I said that the moorish idol was a tang, if you look on Diversden it says it is a close relative. How do you know how much research I have done. For your info I have tried to find as much info as possible. If you were to go to Rc there are lots of people who have tried and succesfully accomplished keeping a MI alive. Others have failed but but have givin advice as to why they failed. I did order alot of sponge for him to eat along with buying new life spectrum finicky fish food and frozen angel formula which has sponge in it. So unless you were at my house dont tell people I havent done research. get offf your soapbox. As to u4boyz failer she did say it died due to her own neglect

You said it was in the tang family, when Diver's Den says, "It is the only member of the family Zanclidae". Why are you putting it in a tank full of tangs? In all your research, you never saw that it shouldn't be kept with aggressive fish such as tangs? And what about all the other fish that you've tried to keep but have died? Have you found out why they died, and solved that problem before adding more fish? They typically don't eat frozen foods. That is probably the #1 most common problem with them. So I'm not too sure that all that frozen food you ordered will come in handy. Do you know that they will also eat almost every type of coral in our tanks, even though they don't typically do that in nature? It is believed they are looking for some sort of food source that we can't provide them. They are not reef-safe fish.

Diver's Den says this too:
Perhaps the most graceful of all marine fish, for many hobbyists, it is also one of the most difficult fish to keep because it is so difficult to feed. For all but the most expert hobbyist, it is better admired in the ocean or in a public aquarium rather than in a home tank.

You must've not seen that part.

Here is a post from another site:
There are a thousand stories online just like the one above. Same exact scenario. New idol eats like a pig, gets fat and "happy", then suddenly dies for no apparent reason. As stated, it is the complex nutritional needs of this fish that lead to it's demise. Sometimes they last 6 months but it is almost always the same.

Many HIGHLY experienced reef keepers with huge systems have had the same results. I don't mean to sound harsh but you must not have read up enough on this fish if you thought that giving it the old college try was worth it. When hobbyists stop buying these fish, the LFS will stop buying/collecting them. Again sorry to be blunt but hours spent doing research and reading will help you avoid the mistakes that others have made.

Last edited:
I no longer have a tank full of tangs Sara, that is your problem you beleave you know everything. I have giving all my fish to the lfs cause I have been doing research on MI. I now have a mimic tang, regal tang and a very small sailfin tang. i also have a humu trigger, 1 convict goby other then that the 210 gallon tank is empty. for your information the powder brown died due to a rock slide that the blueribbion eel created, so i got rid of it. I had another die due to a powderblue attacking it. But i really dont feel it neccessary to explain myself or my tank to you. Why is it that you are the only one that always feels neccesary to critize someone for doing somthing. Unless it is a very very poor choice we should really try to help peolpe out. I really have nothing further to say to you about this.

Well I'm glad to hear that you don't think three tangs and a trigger fall under the category of "aggressive fish such as tangs". Triggers and tangs are the very definition of that.

Unless it is a very very poor choice we should really try to help peolpe out.

This is a very very poor choice. That is my point.

Just an FYI sara I am ordering them from Bluezoo, i did contact them befor I purchased them and they assured me they were already eating mysis shrimp and they dont shipp any MI until they are eating.

Just an FYI sara I am ordering them from Bluezoo, i did contact them befor I purchased them and they assured me they were already eating mysis shrimp and they dont shipp any MI until they are eating.

That's wonderful that it's eating mysis (even though mysis can't keep it alive), but it appears you missed this, which I posted earlier:

There are a thousand stories online just like the one above. Same exact scenario. New idol eats like a pig, gets fat and "happy", then suddenly dies for no apparent reason. As stated, it is the complex nutritional needs of this fish that lead to it's demise. Sometimes they last 6 months but it is almost always the same.

Many HIGHLY experienced reef keepers with huge systems have had the same results. I don't mean to sound harsh but you must not have read up enough on this fish if you thought that giving it the old college try was worth it. When hobbyists stop buying these fish, the LFS will stop buying/collecting them. Again sorry to be blunt but hours spent doing research and reading will help you avoid the mistakes that others have made.

Been sitting reading this thread for a couple days......Rob ,i hate to say it, but i think that humu is going to kill those idols long before they die of starvation ........i also believe idols are compared to butterflies,not related to them but compared to them....due to how fragile and delicate they are...I personally would not try to keep one,but i understand both sides ,and really choose not to choose sides

Thank you for your input Ohno, i appreciate when someone can put it out there with a lil respect that is all i am asking.

Sara your last post was a lot more sincere and I really appreciate the warning. I am not trying to or would ever deliberatly kill a fish. But we should be allowed to try somthing without other critizing .

Been sitting reading this thread for a couple days......Rob ,i hate to say it, but i think that humu is going to kill those idols long before they die of starvation ........i also believe idols are compared to butterflies,not related to them but compared to them....due to how fragile and delicate they are...I personally would not try to keep one,but i understand both sides ,and really choose not to choose sides

From what I know of Moorish Idols I've gotta agree with my buddy in PA. He is the resident Trigger expert. Is there a chance of removing the Tangs and Triggers in order to change the odds in your favor?

I know little to nothing about Moorish idols, I've never seen one at an LFS. That being said, this is essentially the same conversation that we have when we see that someone has a Tang in a 29g tank or is considering a shark. So I can understand why Biff gets agitated, I get agitated when somebody wants to put a shark in a 100g tank, because I have a 180g tank and still wouldn't consider doing it, because you know before you get it home it's not going to survive. There are some fish that are better left in the ocean. I think the sadness of losing a fish is far worse than the joy of keeping one.

I'm sure we all hope that you're the exception to the rule.

The trigger will more than likely instantly start nipping at the Idols banner if you get it. They really aren't good choices our aquariums.

I just now read this thread. And this is from Chip ( one of the guys at my LFS ).He's had 3 MI's for over a year now.He keeps them in a custom 380 gallon tank he built himself.
His Idols are the only 3 fish in the tank.He says the secret to keeping them is to make sure they have enough of both live sponge and anemones to eat.He orders 10 or 15 huge anemones a month along with the sponges.He says that Bubble tips and Carpets are their favorite foods.

10-15 anemones a month, plus sponges. It sounds like they would be very expensive to keep. They are pretty, but I don't know if they would be worth it.

I just now read this thread. And this is from Chip ( one of the guys at my LFS ).He's had 3 MI's for over a year now.He keeps them in a custom 380 gallon tank he built himself.
His Idols are the only 3 fish in the tank.He says the secret to keeping them is to make sure they have enough of both live sponge and anemones to eat.He orders 10 or 15 huge anemones a month along with the sponges.He says that Bubble tips and Carpets are their favorite foods.
:shock:
to rich for my blood:mrgreen:

Back