Min & Max Fill On Sump

tcarroll

Reefing newb
I am a little confused on this.How do i dertimine this?Check sump with pumps off and make line then turn pumps on and do what?Make another line?

Thank's

Tim

i would make your max line when your pump is off. because if if you loose power the tank will siphon water until the return line sucks air. of if you have the return under water a couple inches that is how much water is going to be backflushed into the sump i keep my return close to the surface. if i had mine an ince under the water it would siphon almost 5 gallons back in to te sump. as for the min you want the water to be over your pump if it is in the sump you dont want it to be out of the water as it can heat up quick and burn up possibly. so there is really no set amount to a max or a min it just depends on what your setup is. hope this helps.

Daugherty is correct. Your max line should be after all power is off and the water has finishing getting siphoned back into the sump (thru the output pump). After that is complete, give it a few mins as some water will still drain thru the overflows (depending on how low your return out put is in the DT). Just to be on the safe side...

That is how much additional room you will require in case power goes out. So when adding top off water, make sure you leave that extra empty sump space.

I would have to disagree. Yes you do want to allow for the extra space when the pumps are off. But you dont want to mark the max line when the pumps are off.

Step 1) Turn pumps off
Step 2) Let all the water syphon down and equalize
Step 3) Fill up to a mark where you are comfortable say about an inch from the top of the sump
Step 4) TURN THE PUMPS BACK ON
Step 5) Once the water is back to being stable in both the sump and main tank, mark the MAX line

You do this because you add water while the tank is in opperation. If you make the mark when the pumps are off, then fill it to that line when the pumps are on, you run the risk of flooding your floor if power goes out.

Brian

I would have to disagree. Yes you do want to allow for the extra space when the pumps are off. But you dont want to mark the max line when the pumps are off.

Step 1) Turn pumps off
Step 2) Let all the water syphon down and equalize
Step 3) Fill up to a mark where you are comfortable say about an inch from the top of the sump
Step 4) TURN THE PUMPS BACK ON
Step 5) Once the water is back to being stable in both the sump and main tank, mark the MAX line

You do this because you add water while the tank is in opperation. If you make the mark when the pumps are off, then fill it to that line when the pumps are on, you run the risk of flooding your floor if power goes out.

Brian

I agree but I have mine about 4 inches from the top of the sump and my lowest level is an inch below my last baffle in the return section of my sump which is halfway to the top of the sump and my return pump is external.

look at dr foster and smith you can get a check valve that will stop a back fow if it happens

You can also drill an 8th inch hole in the return line just above the water line in the display.That will break any back siphon if the power fails.

Back