Min size for refugium sump for 110G

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
So it looks like I found a great deal on a refugium sump on craigslist that come with light (looks like coralife) and pump & they guy thinks he has the over flow box he just needs to look for it, he is not sure what size it is, from the picture, to me it looks like 30G, So I will like to know what is the min size sump I can go with get for my 110G.

There is no minimum size really but, you want to make sure ts big enough to fit all of your equipment and still handle the overflow from your tank. I definitely wouldn't go any smaller then a 30 but, bigger is always better.

Well I did get the refugium sump with a pump for $40 from this guy on craigslist but its more like a 5 gallon sump. I still took it because I'm thinking of converting my 29G freshwater into saltwater soon. So I guess for now ill use it on my 110G & then ill move it to my 29G & them ill make a bigger sump 30 or 40 long sump for my 110G, dose that make sense? will a 5 gallon sump be able to handle my 110G?:question:

P.S. I still need to get a overflow box & new pump to handle the110G

Last edited:
Like Brian and Smitty said. There's no minimum size, but I highly doubt a 5g would be able to hold any worthwhile equipment and with a DT that big the extra water in the system wouldn't even be noticed.

I agree a 5 gal on a tank that size wont help it or you at all.. I would just wait until you get the the larger tank and keep up on the water changes until then..

Ariel, I have a 20 gallon sump on my 65g setup. It is just big enough to house my skimmer and heater and overflow on one side, small refugium and light in the center, and a Mag 7 return pump on the other side. I would go with the 40 if it fits!
Good luck!

ok so i get you guys its small, but just to let you know im just doing it so i can have a small refugium with some macro alge. My skimmer is a hang over and im runing 2 110 aquaclear filters. but i gusse ill just work on gettin a biger one.

Back