Mini Lionfish?

DesoShade

I'm a noooooob
Oo oo oo I was in the lfs and they had a few Lionfish and they looked so awesome. I read that they need a 50 gallon tank. Hmm. I wonder if they would be okay in a saaaay 30 gallon tank? or do they have like, mini lionfish? :-p or 30 gallon lionfish? :question:

heck yeah! they DO have lionfish for a 30 gal. freakin awesome. Hmm. says it's venomous and semi-aggressive. semi aggressive. How would that work with peaceful fish tho. hmm. venomous sounds scary. hmm.

Lion fish eat other fish. So unless you are willing to give up its smaller tankmates as meals, I wouldn't add one to your community tank!

But lionfish are freakin awesome. so that would count out those little goby fish I was looking at. man. planning out a stocked tank is tricky. hmmmmmm

actually Im not sure how a Dwarf is ?
My lion fish can eat Krill the size of 3/4 his body lingth
And he really is not agressive at all twards the tank mates
No shrimp in my tank they just wont last!

Heres a little tip.
If you want lionfish,Just make sure all its tank mates are bigger than he is.
They usually ( notice the word USUALLY) wont try to eat fish thats bigger than they are.

Give it time Lion,lol.
One of these days you'll be doing some cleaning,and your lionfish will be curious and BAM you'll feel the sting my friend.:mrgreen:

you might have luck with the "fu-manchu" dwarf. They need little tank space and are more passive, although they will eat what they want. You will have better luck with adding the lionfish last as the often view current inhabitants as equals (even cleaner shrimp) and may not eat them no matter the size difference. Anything added after he is established...fair game...and they remember too. So just because a fish is bigger at the start, the lionfish will eat it when he grows bigger.

They are a favorite of mine, but I won't risk my clowns. i am going to buy another radiata (my favorite) when I get my fish only tank

-Dr Marco :sfish:

im getting a dwarf for my 30 when we get the 125 started.my dad says that a 30s too small for the big tank so were making a 35 gal.

I have a Volitan Lionfish "Leonard" in my 150. I would say he is medium size now... and there is nothing left in the tank that is much smaller than he is :death: So I would definitely repeat the advice you have got to look at a dwarf Lion.

He's a great fish who rules the tank. He knows no fear and makes me nervous every time I need to get into the tank, because he cruises over to my hand / arm to see what's going on - so I need to not only concetrate on what I'm trying to do in there, but be constantly aware of where he is...

I bought a 'large' Coral Banded shrimp that I thought would be able to take care of himself... he lasted about 20 mins of what looked like inquisitiveness - until he was gone :fechten2:>|<

Leonard_13.JPG

7 inches? depends on the fish. dwarfs are more like three. Radiatas are 9-10 inches, same with antennatas. Volatin Lionfish are more in the realm of 12-15 inches. They get BIG and eat everything.

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

Back