Mini Nano Reef

Marine_Newbie

Reefing newb
For Father's Day the kids got me a Nano Reef which had been setup by the LFS. I waited 7 days before taking pictures to make sure my little charges are taking to my care. I have attached some pictures, and if you think any of the corals are not expanding correctly, please let me know.

Water parameters are all excellent. The tank is 12 gal capacity, but 4 are dedicated to the filter, so only 8 are for display. I didn't have the heart to tell the kids that a small tank can be very tricky, since it only takes a very small change to become a disaster.

As always, Thanks for the advice.

Regards.

Water changes are easy! o0o Looks like a nice tank, i'll defer the answer on the coral to someone with greater coral expertise than myself.

Colt Coral

Thanks Chris. For all of the coral experts, this is the response that the Colt Cauliflower takes several times a day. I don't know if this is a feeding response, or if it is unhappy about something. Water flow, light, another critter close by, etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated, or should I just sit back and relax.

COLT CORALS/ Alcyonium spp., Klyxum spp., Cladiella spp., and others. a number of very large soft corals typically having a single large base that immediately gives rise to several large branches. The branches are covered at their ends by retractable polyps which are highly pinnate, very feathery, and are typically pink, cream, or fleshy in color. they are quite a bit softer in consistency than other soft corals that are considered to be leather corals and are quite slimy to the touch. they can live under a wide range of lighting conditions but in general the brighter the ights the better as long as you have plenty of room for them if you dont you would be better to keep them under lower intensity lighting. they prefer a moderate to strong turbulent current that helps to keep them upright and swaying around they can do fine in areas with more moderate currects also. They feed on phytoplankton and have no problem quickly growing to large sizes under good lighting with no food being added. they can be placed anywhere as long as they have room to expand and are not stung by other corals. hope something here helps. (current may not be adequate or maybe just needs more time to adjust to the move.

Thanks

Thanks. I will try adjusting it in the tank. Now I know why people with reefs have so much fun. This can be addicting and is most assuredly exciting.

nice little tank.What kind of lighting does it have?Other than what jhnrb has advised you may try target feeding it alittle and see if that helps

It's Responding

Thanks to all. Moving it up in the tank towards the light seems to have made it much happier. It expanded this morning and has stayed open all day. A first. The expansion rates on these soft corals is amazing.

The tank has 2 24watt PC lamps. 1 is a 10k, and the other is Actinic 03. The hood has dual fans for cooling, and the tank has a 110 gph pump. Since it only has 12 g total, with 8 for display, it is bright and the currents are strong in most places. Finding a place for the Blue Mushroom Actinodiscus was a chore.

The LFS had several of these setup and pre-cycled with live sand and rock. For a bundled price you got everything and your choice of corals from a list of nano sized ones. They empty the water into 2 portable jugs, you haul it home, and set it up. Took some of the fun out of it, but the kids have been watching me with the plans for my large tank, so wanted to get me started in coral husbandry for Father's Day.

Thanks to one and all for your expert advice.

Regards.

Back