mini sea star? parasite? whatttt?

lilduud

Reefing newb
would some one care to inform me what this is?
he has literally developed in the past few hours....

Attachments

• DSC_0001 2.jpg
    DSC_0001 2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 886
Asterina star. Really common hitch hikers. You'll see more at night since they are nocturnal. Some people say they are reef safe and just eat coralline and film algae off the glass. I have had bad experiences with them and have found them devouring previously healthy corals in my tank. My tank is very low in algae though, so I think if they run out of their primary food source (algae), they end up turning to eating corals as a last resort.

ok cool thank you... sooooo should i remove it? watch it to see if its a problem...? and is that yellow coralline growing around him in the small circles... theres plenty for him to eat as the only algae eaters are my two turbos. i use my magnet scrubber almost daily i doubt hed ever go hungry hah or they.

It is really up to you. Most people do have them in their tanks as they hitchhike often and breed fast and they rarely harm anything. Personaly, I did tweeze the 2 or 3 I saw out of my tank since they were easy to get to and I didn't want to risk something like what happend to Biff.

i left mine alone and never seen them get any bigger,they doo seem to be missing legs or something because ive never seen one with all its legs

Back