Missed Measured

RIJohn

Reefing newb
So I decided two weeks ago that my sump a 20g Long was to small for my set up and decided to go bigger. So I shopped around for tanks, finding a 30g Breeder tank, 12in high, 36in long and 18 in wide. Figured that would be great shallow enough for skimmer but large enough for more fuge area.

So I measured my stand, front opening, 38inches depth of stand 18inches so it fits in and is tight. Go to my LFS order the tank, it finally comes in. Bring it home look at the tank and realize the tank specs did not include the black rim which adds another 1in:frustrat:

So now it does not fit...... So after looking at my tank swearing I see a solution.:^:

Here it is, the only thing stopping me from putting in my stand is the rear support.

1 I am gonna remove the support.
2 Add two 2inx2inx4in spacers top and bottum of support
3 Add thicker bolts through the support, spacer into the stand
4 I just gave myself 2in

Does these seem feasable?

to be honest i see no problem with that at all. all the weight is on the edges of the stand i done even have a center supports in my stand front ot back and my stand is 1/2in oak plywood

Really? I figured I would put back just in case...

The weight is definitely on the sides I was able to pull the brace off with no problem.

Man thats scary...I've seen people bust the stand doing that, better put it back, or brace the load. I'm a firm believer in that they build things a certain way for a reason. 125 weighs how much? Like 1100 lbs? OOOooooo

Alright just wnat to let everyone know that I pulled the brace off the tank. Installed two spacer peices of wood. Installed slightly thicker screws that were longer then the original ones. Reinstalled brace and installed the 30gallon Breeder sump. Will be posting pics(proof Dcan in my build thread)

Good job. I had to remove the braces in the stand of my 240 to get my sump in and out. It's nerve wracking, but once you get them back in, you can breath a sigh of relief!

Yeah getting the sump in was no problem, getting the brace in and out was no problem. Moving the fishtank completely full with water little bit more of a problem... got it done pulled a muscle but got it done.

Back