missing fish, loud snap, mantis shrimp?

clownfish cj

Reefing newb
About 5 days ago I noticed that my small yellowtail damsel was missing. I haven't seen him since. Just last night I heard a loud snapping noise and it freaked me out, I thought maybe the glass cracked or my stand broke.

I have 2 ocelleros clowns, 1 royal gramma, and 1 multicolor angelfish. They all seem to get a long except 1 of the clowns picked on the damsel but the damsel would always just swim away.

Could I have a mantis shrimp and would that kill a small yellowtail? If I do have a mantis shrimp how do I get rid of it?

Also, I have noticed my small nassarius snails (the ones in the sand) have been dying, there are probably about 5 of their shells in the sand.

Hmm, Mantis dont really go after fish, only the spearers, and you wont hear a crack from them.
My bet would be a large pistol shrimp

You are going to need to investigate at night after lights out, that is when most shrimp come out to play. It definitely sounds like you have a predator in your tank.

im with waddi a large pistol shrimp , those things are masters f hiding , they will get into the smallest crevaces and stay on until you literaly pull them , their grip is tight

from the discovery channel [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc]Pistol Shrimp - YouTube[/ame]

Also,

About tonight I have noticed for the first time that my multicolor angelfish is hiding in 1 spot in the rocks. He came out when I fed the fish and then I noticed that my clownfish is chasing him. That is the first time I have noticed that. They have always been peaceful together ever since I got the angelfish about a month ago. The clownfish is also trying to bully my royal gramma, again... He seems overly agressive right now. I don't know why.

Back