Missing fish.

Tristan

Detritus
Ok, this morning, while i was feeding my fish, i saw my blenny on the sand breathing heavily and just sitting on top of the sand. that was the first time ive ever seen him like that. ever since i had him we was so lively and he's been eating whatever algae on the rocks and glass. also he starting eating brine shrimp. then when i came home from work he went missing!

i checked all his favorite hiding spots and he wasnt there. he's nowhere on the sand. he didnt jump out of the tank because there's no fish on the floor. i moved some off the rocks and he wasn't there. could he have died and something just dragged him into the sand? im really hoping he pops up soon.

And if just so happens he died, and i cant find him. will that murder my whole aquarium? all my other fish and inverts seem to be doing fine.

Sorry to hear of your missing blenny! If he did die, your CUC will take care of him and your tank should be alright. Just keep checking your levels and be prepared to do a water change if you see any ammonia but it is unlikely that you will. I would leave the rocks alone as that could stir up trouble for you too. I hope your blenny turns up.

As some of you may know, I recently moved my tank which involved moving into a temporary holding tank and then into the new sump tank while I work on my build. My Royal Gramma, Chester, went missing during both moves. I was looking for him and looked over the rock as I moved it figuring that he was holed up in the middle of one of them (I have a lot of tunnels in my rock). Both times Chester remained unaccounted for after about 2 days before he just popped up again. So there is hope. :)

Hope you find him Tristan! Sometimes fish will disappear for a few days, then out of nowhere, come back. Hopefully he'll show up.

How long should one hold out hope? My jawfish has been MIA from his den since Saturday the 2nd. I've looked all around the tank (even got a mirror to see behind the rocks) and have not spotted a new den. I've got a tight fitting lid so he didn't jump, and he's not in the overflows or sump... so how long to wait before replacing him?

How long should one hold out hope? My jawfish has been MIA from his den since Saturday the 2nd. I've looked all around the tank (even got a mirror to see behind the rocks) and have not spotted a new den. I've got a tight fitting lid so he didn't jump, and he's not in the overflows or sump... so how long to wait before replacing him?
I'd give it another week and keep a close eye on the tank. If it were a clown I'd say he's a gone-er but these fish that spend time in hiding sometimes just find a new place and disappear for a while, just like we take off for a week in the Poconos. Your fish is sipping champagne in a heart shaped tub right now but he'll be back... maybe :)

He's alive! crazy! i wonder what they do when they go into hiding like that
YAY!!! congrats. I'm glad you found him.

see, I'd expect that... but I see my mandarin daily. this is a new behavior for the jawfish, but I've only had him a bit over a month, so.... who knows?? I'll wait a week then. thanks :)

Back