Missing Goby

lilyicu

FOWLR
How long is too long to be missing a yellow goby?

I haven't seen mine in weeks. He used to follow my cleaner shrimp around and I have been missing him.

I looked all over to make sure that he didn't jump out. I have glass covers and also a canopy so he would have to be very determined to get out if he was trying.

I went out of town for a week and just got back today. Still no sign of him. All of my other fish are still hanging on.

Lily,if you've got live rock,you've got bristle worms.And bristle worms will care of a dead fish just about over night.

He used to hide in the live rock for days and then he would poke his head out and swim around. He was acting crazy for a while. I even looked to see if maybe he jumped out at some point but no body. I guess that I should just assume that he is a goner? It has been about three weeks since I have seen him.

Lily,if you've got live rock,you've got bristle worms.And bristle worms will care of a dead fish just about over night.

+1 yote

I put a silver side in my tank to try to capture a mantis. The mantis never showed but the next morning all that was left of the silver side was the spine and skull. Everything else was gone. No CUC or other fish to eat it. Only bristles

Brian

So I decided to brave the goby world again and bought a diamond goby about two-three weeks ago. To my surprise this one has now disapeared. The first couple of days he was hiding out in the PVC pipes, and then he started moving around the tank. It has now been a week and no signs of him. All the other fish are doing fine and my water parameters have not changed. I have also been converting to RODI water with my water changes and the tank is looking much better. Why can I not keep my gobies around?

I added a Mandarin dragonette about three weeks before and he is doing great. I just don't get it.....

Do you have an open top? Cat(s)? My gobies/jawfish/dragonettes always end up on the floor. Just a matter of time before they jump at least for me.

No, I have glass plates that cover about 90% and then all the intake and output pipes that take of the rest of the room. I also have a canopy that extends up all the way around the tank.

a good thing to do when you add gobys or jawfish is to turn the light out for a day it helps them to not be so skiddish in the tank.

It is quite possible the serpent stars are catching them off guard at night and eating them. I recently got a black one from a guy on a forum for $5. When I asked him why he was getting rid of it he said it was eating his shrimp and small fish at night. I asked him how often he feed his tank and he said hardly ever.

I have all kinds of stars but they get feed often so they won't feel desperate enough to eat my fish. I hope.

He did hide in the pvc pipe for a couple of days and then finally came out to explore. I look all around the tank. On the glass tops and around on the floor. Nothing. Just like the last one...no sign.

Back