Missing something?

Peoplepc3

Reefing newb
I have a question that may seem out of the ordinary and I would like to hear your responses based on your theories or experiences....

It seems, for no good reason sometimes a fish will be, in what appears to be excellent health and in a matter of 24 hours, that very same fish....dies.

Since I began this hobby 3 years ago, if I have learned anything, it is how to keep my water "perfect". I can not think of the last time I tested any of the 7 or 8 qualities that we as reefers feel the need to concern ourselves with and found a less-than-perfect reading.

I have spent TONS of cash making sure that I do not take shortcuts and try to provide the best 155 gallons of marine environment, possible.

This post is being spurred-on by the death of my Foxface I have owned for about a year. "Foxy", as I call her, was full of life and the star of my tank. Always the first to greet me each morning and a real piggy at dinner time. She had not an enemy in the tank and seemed to really enjoy her surroundings.

As I type this, Foxy is not doing well. She is propping herself against the glass, breathing slowly and rapidly changing from her normal bright yellow, to a faded grey. I have lost enough fish in this hobby to know when the end is near. Soon I am certain, she will perish.

It seems as if death comes for no good reason. I made certain not to purchase from any LFS that gathers fish from places that still cyanide fish. I even went so far as to inspect their paperwork which explains just how they were caught. I have bought every fish in my tank from the same LFS for 4 years. The deaths seem random in occurrence. Some have been in my tank for 3 years, others live 6 months, others live 3 weeks.

In your opinion, what is causing the death of these fish if you can discount water quality and general aquarium husbandry? I have never had a fish with ich or any parasite that I know of. I quarantine for at least 60 days each time I purchase a newbie. Each time a fish dies, all the others (including coral) seem fine.

There just has to be something I am missing. Luck of the draw? Stress upon transport?

Or is it that fish are just suppose to live in the ocean, and not in our living rooms in a glass box? Or is it no matter how hard we try, we will never be able to replicate the qualities of the ocean. Some fish adapt to their new "artificial" homes, some don't.

Insight please....

Fish are just like people. In that when it is their time, it is their time. I know it sucks, but sometimes, there really is no good reason for a fish to die. It could be old age, it could be a parasite, it could be a virus, who knows. All you can do is provide the best environment that you can.

Hope your foxface pulls through,

It may just be the stress of the move. These fish go thru 2-3 different moves, tanks, centers, etc before arriving to our tanks. Most can't take that stress, and some do get viruses and parasites internally. Which causes them to slowly start to die, and by the time we get them, they don't last too long afterwards. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Try purchasing fish from a reputable online distribution center and see if that works out better. Good luck.

I haven't been doing this forever but I have found the source of the livestock seems to have the greatest impact on long term survival of the fish.

Being this fish has been in your tank a year it cant be moving stress. It sounds to me that you are a model reef keeper. Unfortunately just like any other living being when its time to go there is no getting around it.

+1 everyone...sometimes, there's just no way to find out what happened. If no one else is acting weird, could just be one of those things. No stray voltage, nothing new added, no tainted food, no dirty hands? Sucks to hear, though. I can't believe I've had my foxface for 3 or 4 years already and I love him to bits. I know I'll miss him when he dies. DId you buy your foxface when it was still small? Or was it already fully grown? Mine was still small -- the size of my banggai, pretty much.

Sorry to hear about your foxface. Just like people die randomly and suddenly from different conditions, I can only assume fish do too. We can never know for sure in a situation like this. Did you have any temp fluctuations recently or dose anything out of the ordinary? New food perhaps? Just throwing out ideas.

I had a foxface die too for no reason, other than possible stress. I had him for a few months and had put him through strict QT and he seemed perfectly healthy on the outside. Now I have a new foxface and I'm worried about this one too because he paces the glass and has the stress coloration (dark brown on top) and it's already been about a month since I moved him into the DT. I wish I had gotten a smaller one this time, because I think some older fish may have a harder time adapting to captivity, I cant remember where I heard that and not sure if it's true. But if this one doesn't make it I may not get another. Unless I can get a very small one, but it seems hard to find in my area.

My two other fish that died for no reason were both wrasses that died after only a few weeks in QT. Not sure if I'm going to try another wrasse since I seem to have bad luck with them. One was from LiveAquaria and looked weak when I got it, and the other wrasse was from the same LFS as my first foxface that died. But I do have two healthy fish that I got from that LFS. So I'm not sure what the real reason is. It can be frustrating and I guess that's why some quit the hobby.

Back