Mixed Clowns?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I now have a very happy pair of clowns, a b/w occelaris and a "regular" orange/white occelaris. My question, can they mate, and if so, what type of clowns would you end up with? Does anyone know of anybody who has had this happen to them?

The only difference in your clowns is their color.Other than that,their identical.They can mate and spawn,but its highly unlikely any of the fry would survive in your reef tank.It takes a special set up to raise the fry,from my understanding.
But Yeah,its very possible.

Yeah, there are a group on one of the Canadian boards I hang out at that raise clowns, and it's involved to say the least. Just curious as to what the fish would look like if it happened

my Lfs had a mixed yellow tang and somesort of gobie bred before but they sold it.

Ummm no.

First off, they are two different species. Different species, by definition, cannot and will not breed. There are two exceptions to this: donkeys and horses, and dogs and wolves. But those species are so closely related that you can't draw a fine line between them. Gobies and tangs are totally totally completely different and would not breed together.

Not only that, but tangs cannot breed in captivity. They are open water spawners. To date, no one has been successful in breeding tangs with each other in captivity. Let alone a totally different species.

Either someone was lying to you, or pulling a prank.

what if the "sperm" of one fish is injected into the other fish? Could it work?

I have opposite colored clowns and I wish they would mate but they don't seem to be getting to far.

Alto,

That has to be the funniest post I have ever seen on this board to date!! Yes! I love it!!!!

The first sentence had me on the floor, then, I read the second!! It is truly brilliant.

A few comments.....

I don't think too many LFS are extracting fish sperm from one species, then re-injecting it into another....If they are, I would LOVE to see this process.
Also, the DNA is incompatible. Just like if you were to take your sperm and try to inject it into...let's say, a cat. I just wouldn't work. (I am implying in vitro fertilization of course, you shouldn't inject anything into your cat physically).

My second comment is in reference to your second sentence.......
"I wish they would mate but they don't seem to be getting to far".

How far are they getting? Maybe the mood isn't right? Maybe you need to add some soft lighting to your fixture? A bit of wine soaked Mysis may do the trick?

Good luck Alto...thanks for the comment....I really enjoyed it!

If those green bubble like thing are eggs then I am gonna be a new grandpa, but if they are algae bubbles then... damn, thats what they are

my two clowns have been together for 6 months. They do everything together but I have seen no signs of eggs.

OMG I can't read that site because each users signature area is 10x bigger than what they write. It is giving my finger a cramp just to see 5 different one sentence opinions.

I might add the same species can breed AND produce fertile offspring. Mules, for instance, are sterile. I've seen the black clowns but the other day I saw black clowns with orange noses. Some sub-species such as these may be able to breed.

Considering that clowns are now threatened in the wild --any discussion of clown breeding cannot be too silly.

Back