Mixed Reef stock

RFD

Reefing newb
Hello all,

Gonna set up a 120 gal mixed reef- some zoa, mushrooms, star polyp, maybe a nice brain- what fish would you suggest?

Can I put a Zebra eel and an tang in the tank?

Thanks

Eels usually dont make good reef tank fish because their messy eatters and bigger eels can knock the rocks over and break the glass.
I personally would love to have an eel.But not risking it in my tank.

I would not have an eel in a reef tank also. I`ve had one but it was in FOWLR tank. As mentioned above they are messy eaters and usually high nitrates are the results of messy eaters. I am also concerned about the acrylic top. You`ll probably have lower PH readings because of poor gas exchange at the surface. You really need an open top.

I would not keep an eel in my reef either, I had a baby snowflake that I keep in my 240 reef once I trained him to eat out of the net so when he got to big I was able to catch him out easily (before he caused to much trouble).

Go with 2-3 tangs or foxface. and an assortment of smaller fish, such as blennies and gobies.

I made the top myself there are 200 wholes in the top I will put up a pic- Looks like the eel is out! thanks

slight threadjack... for my top i have 2 pieces of glass with a 1 inch gap between them and another 1 inch gap between the back piece of glass and the back of the aquarium. Is that good enough for gas exchange?

slight threadjack... for my top i have 2 pieces of glass with a 1 inch gap between them and another 1 inch gap between the back piece of glass and the back of the aquarium. Is that good enough for gas exchange?

JMO,But thats kinda like us trying to breath through straws.We get air,but not enough to keep us happy.
You'd see a huge difference in the looks and health of your tank,if the top was completely open.

Me too! I have lost a lot of fish because of jumping out of my Zero Edge. It's much easier for then to go over because of the water flow, but some fish are just prone to jumping.

Back